BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was up the arm the other day, and hiked up the river a bit just to watch the pinks spawn. For years I have heard people say that there are springs that go up there, but have never once seen one. Well I finally did see one, amongst the pinks. It was much larger, and had the darker outline around the tail. this particular pool was thick with pinks, yet they left a one foot radius around the spring. Was pretty cool to see. Does anyone know if the run are whites or reds? The return must be small just to have seen one over the last 5 years I have hiked the river. Would be interesting to see what kind of numbers return.

Besty

· Registered
707 Posts
most likely strays from the Capilano. They have been know to stray to the Indian and leave a few days later and end up in the Capilano. Tagging studies at the time show this to be what happened.

· Registered
177 Posts
Betsy, we used to camp on the Indian back in the late 90's, just above the logging bridge. It was an annual trip, the last weekend in July. When it was a low water year you could spot springs & jacks in almost every hole. Don't know if they were red or white or where they were from. They were super fresh & looked out of place in that 'creek'. The Indian is a short system & it seems unlikely these monsters would stage here for months before the spawn but who knows...

I agree with rln, they must be from elsewhere. If the Indian did have chinook it would more than likely be a fall run fish, a trait that lends itself to rivers close to the salt with few spawnable miles of river.

· Registered
13 Posts
if i remember correctly, years ago fisheries (could've been someone else) had some pens up indian arm and released fish up there, coho and springs, i believe the springs were reds and from the quinsam hatchery by campbell river. i know for a fact there have been some big springs (40# range) taken around this time of year, late sept- early oct, near the power station, black (oil slick) hoochies seemed to work well, however it can be very difficult to fish at times do to jellyfish. i'll be trying up there next weekend if weather permits and will post if i have any success or hear of any. some of the big springs caught at the mouth of the cap are on their way up indian arm.
cheers and tight lines ferret

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.