BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would let people know about one of the season openers. Held the first weekend of March each year, this winter spring derby is based out of Poett Nook in Barclay Sound. Entry fee is minimal, competition friendly with up to 400 entrants. Last year's winner was the biggest in some time at 24 lbs. Lots of other prizes.

It's my fifth year and find it great fun. Have met people from Vancouver and as far away as California. Only one bad year as far as weather since we started going, so that is great.

The nook treats people real good. Not sure about this year, but moorage and launching has been free up till now.

See you there.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Welcome to the site Stress and thanks, for the info. Never know, might not make it this year but in the future. Sounds like fun!!!

GOFISH 8)

p.S. Do you supply others ......... you may need some of that medicine from time to time here. ;D ;D ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well You should have came.

Lots of fish caught althought the winner wasn't that big. 19.9 lbs got one lucky fisherman $400. 2nd prize as $200 or a Scotty Deep line (electric of course), and third prize was what the 2nd prize person didn't take. Was one halli reported and several red snapper. Personally. the wife and I didn't place with the winners but limited out with 8 springs over the course of the weekend with most in the 5-6 lb range. Crabbing was also great and I can finally say I have ate my fill at least once. There are also many other prizes up for grabs, all based on a name draw basis. I finally had my turn and getting an early draw picked up a beautiful stainless crab trap and the wife got a gift certificate at a local grocery store.

Weather was cooperative in general with only a bit of snow, some wind and one good day of rain. We had to break ice coming into the nook on Friday, but the rest of the weekend wasn't too cold at all.

I earlier mentioned about support from the Nook. It was great. We stay in their bunkhouse which contains 6 - 4 person rooms (crowded for 4, comfortable for 2) and a common kitchen and really reasonable. Moorage is free, as is camping if you want to haul your rig in. Only charge is for power hook-up. The washrooms and showers are open and campfire every night. They really support the derby.

Anyway, it's nothing but a fond memory for this year, but there is next year. First weekend in March. Tickets are/were $15.

Hope to see you there, I know we will be again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eric77,
That weekend it seemed to be quite good first thing in the morning just outside of the Nook near the log dump. I got a couple there then it cooled down so I went to Pill Point. Nothing there, got one crossing Rainy Bay, a couple in the middle off Chupp Point towards Assist Island. The next hot spot for me was the north end of Sarita Bay which gave up 3 to us. Some friends fishing over by Kirby Point did okay, but no salmon. We were fishing 110 to 120 and caught them on a blue/silver spoon and red teaser with anchovie. Oh, got one on a tiger prawn hootchie on the Friday near Pill. People were fishing all over and I'm not sure where the big ones came from. Diplock, Lyle, Swale, Bamfield Wall, Holford Bay, Vernon Bay were all fished by boats I know and hardly produced at all.

Let us know how you do this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts