BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
I was at the Cheakamus on Friday...the water looks like glacial melt which in my experience is odd for this time of year...maybe there's a slide I haven't heard about? Anyway five trucks at the bailey bridge fished upriver a bit...levels look great but visibility six inches...went straight to the Mamquam...river level average and gin clear...fished over fresh coho in three pools but no takers on wool, feathers, spoons or spinners.

Stopped at the Eagle Run on the Squamish...jet boats roarin and figures fishing way upriver...once again milky with virtually no viz but fish are there because the seals were workin and one had a big salmon in his jaws.

· Registered
844 Posts
There is fish in the system but where the hell they are Im not sure of ??? The seals are getting them quite a bit. I have gotten two to date and have been to a myriad of spots on the Squamish/Cheakamus/Mamquam that are usually holding fish. If after next weekend there is nothing this season is going to be a wash like last in my opinion:'( :'(. Very strange as other systems seem to be getting their fish (chum). Funny you talk to some people and they give you "well Ive been catching fish", while this may be true the fact that I am hunting chummies like I used to have to hunt pool to pool around here for coho says exactly what kind of shape this system is in. Very sad as when the fish are here it is an amazing fishery. Hope they show with the rains this week!

:cheers:
Derek

· Registered
50 Posts
Much of the colour comes from culliton creek, a tributary of the middle cheakamus. It blows out very quickly.

But I have noticed that the mainstem Cheakamus, even in the upper regions, has taken longer to clear up than in previous years. Different people have different theories. I think, at least partially, that the late summer starts and heavy snow packs we've had the last two years aren't helping.

But we did have some very heavy sustained rainfall at the beginning of October as well, and that pushed levels up substantially.

· Registered
844 Posts
Thats the name of it, I always cant remember the name of the other trib other than the cheekeye. Sucks all around because with out those the Cheak has a nice bit of color to it. Prefect fishy coloration with the glacial till. ;)

· Registered
844 Posts
Was out today and hooked a couple of fish but could keep them from finding a logjam I was fishing close to and they broke me off. Still quite slow :'( :'( Talked to a CO who said that he has heard rumblings of another retention closure coming if the fish dont show in greater numbers. How things have changed in four years ??? ??? Be careful if fishing the cheakamus area, found HUGE fresh Grizzly bear prints down at the mouth of the cheakamus today. Never seen grizz prints down this far before so be mindfull......

cheers
derek

· Registered
144 Posts
Two weeks ago we saw whales in the sound at Porteau and Brittania. They were after salmon or maybe seals? Seals are like wild dogs. When there's too many they should be culled. Sure hope the Squamish river area gets on its feet. It's sure taken a beating.

DSD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.