BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just had a craving for calamari, and it got me to thinking about squid. I have caught them at night way off shore, but I have never targeted them within my usual angling areas. I know there are squid pretty well everywhere, I've just never thought to fish them before. Can anyone give me some pointers on fishing them? I am thinking that one would do best at night, shining a powerful light over the side of the boat - I don't know if this is legal though. Should one fish near shore, or drop-offs; near the bottom, the surface, or mid-water? Near kelp?
They are pretty easy to find off shore. Just throw a jig over and let it sink a bit, and you are almost guaranteed to get into them. Is it like that around here too? My family has a boat and cabin in Barkley sound, so any info. on that area would be even better. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
never thought to fish for squid, but i do remember fishing at QCL and having one of the other boats radio in saying hey had found a dead squid. we went and had a look at it and it must have been 50 -60 lbs. cant emagine a jig over the side of the boat doing you much good for these.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I've caught them at night in Australia but never in our waters.
In fact I don't think I have seen them alive in around here. However, I have caught many ling and yellow eye rock fish full of them particularly in the early spring at most depths bellow 60 ft. I've also seen what I think are their eggs on some really low tides.
If you catch a fish with them in it's mouth drop a squid jig down that my :2cents:.
Have fun, Jason

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
We used to catch them in the Sound (Barkley) usually after getting blown in and a night at the Eagles nest :beerchug:. I believe they spawn in the summer?? and travel to the light(i.e Uckee or Bamfield harbours) 3 am at the Gov dock in Uckee looked like the gorge bridge in march. Hope that helps a little??

Perfect size to too.... 8-10 inchers

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As hard as I've tried, I have never been in fishing condition at 3am in Ukee. Unless we just got in. I am really trying to get out of fishing for a living, and a big part of the reason is to free up my summers. Hopefully I can get a week or two of angling in on the sound this season. And if I do, hopefully I can jig up a late-night snack. There is a deep fryer at the hut ;D.

Thanks for the responses and tips boys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.