BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the new forum rules I figure I had better finally learn how to post a pic.

Was out at a local lake fishing for these gems,(should narrow your search down a bit) on my new 2wt G2. Very fun indeed.

I caught 6 from 12"-16" in about 3 hours before I was numb and I moved on. One brighter male that I caught had sea lice on him. :(
I reached for the camera but I was by myself and he wanted to go. I figured the poor guy had enough on his plate already. I tried to treat them with as much care as possible as they are a delicate species, but they were an absolute joy to play on a light weight fly rod. Not a steelhead, but I sure had fun. :peace:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Rib...

I just figured out I saw you guys on Sunday at Reaction. I was the big guy who came in bought some leaders, talked to Darrel and left. I recognized nates and then remembered the cleveland hat. I knew it looked familiar to me. I'll make sure to say hi next time.

I was using a 2 wt. Rio Selective Trout floating line (chartreuse) on my Hardy Featherweight (click + pawl) with a ten foot 5x teapered leader and about a five foot flourocarbon tippet. I was using a maroon micro leech as chironimids did not give me the instant gratification I so desperately needed. (This is a new rod we're talking about here) I tried at first anchoring and using an indicator with the leech but again grew impatient and slow- hand retrieved without the indicator and hooked the above fish immediately. I prefer this method anyway so I was psyched when it kept working. Beautiful specimens they are, gottal love those cutty's.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Yeah! I saw you there that morning...definitely next time say hi...

Sweet info on the methods too...I miss fly fishing, I'm definitely going to have to get out for some of those cutties again soon...It's been waaaay too long...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured that was coming. I was worried about mentioning my setup as I have now been outted as the gear head that I am. It was quite costly, but you could do it much cheaper than I did and still have the same fun.(Say a 2wt. St.croix and a half decent trout reel). The reel is rather insignificant for this type of fishing. Heck... you could probably wrap the line around your hand if you wanted. I just like the soothing sound of a Hardy when I fish my lightweight set-up. Yes... I know I have issues. :happy: It was about $1000. I have patient creditors.

They warned me at Reaction about casting a G2, let alone catching a fish on it. I sold all my Sage rods to make it happen, and now only fish Scott. Ahhhh.... the fun of it all. I wonder how long this craze will last before I switch again... Now I know why I have short relationships. I look forward to you all calling me crazy. :peace:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Royal_Coachman said:
Nice job on the Oncorhynchus clarki :thumbup:

-RC
Thank you RC...lol... I'll be saying that everytime a catch one from now on. :beerchug:

The v2 is a great rod as well, like I said I have issues which is why I have G2's. I've got the 4wt v2 and I like it a lot. So does my buddy who demands to fish it everytime we go because he loves it over his TFO. For $200 it is a very sensitive stick that will shoot line into the wind, without having a crazy fast action like my old xp. Gettin the trout itch too aren't ya? :peace:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.