BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you know, this morning I wrote the most exciting story about my trip to the Stamp. It took too long, because when I went to post it, the page had expired, and an hours worth of writing is lost in cyberspace.
Here is the Reader's Digest, condensed version.
yesterday big wind in vancouver
had trip booked to the Stamp with guide, Ken Meyers
had to cut my truck out from under neighbours 30 ft. pine tree in order to leave
had to traverse to second narrows to get to Horshoe Bay, no steetlights, traffic lights, or any lights at all
did I mention the wind???
made it to the Island, better late than never.
hit the river at about 9:30 am.
caught a nice summer run almost first cast.
caught a bunch of trout damn roe stealers
missed a couple of winter chromes, decide that I should wake up.
decided that even in these VERY high water conditions to shoot the Bucket
went crazy after that, so many chromers, a couple of summers, one wild buck about 14#.
one chrome wild beauty, about 12#
6 fish out of the logjam below falls pool.
fish were fighting like crazy, unbelieveable runs, mostly back into the heavy stuff, nice challenge on 8# with #1 hooks.
fished back downstream, ended day with double header below the Bucket.
total 16 fish to the boat, probably 6-8 more that i lost
took two beauties home for family and friends.
there is nobody crazier than Ken Meyers, and nobody can out fish him.
met him exactly one year ago, 4 trips 60+ steelhead
I love the Stamp.
I'll post pictures when I figure out how to do it.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I, too have also suffered the fate of the "time thing" on this site. If you start a story you have to keep typing and quickly! If you leave your computer and come back to your writings...it is gone!! Can this be addressed by the mods.?....Ortho 8)
Ogobogo.............WELL DONE!!!.Of course no one will believe you until you show them some pictures........ :wink:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
ogobogo said:
...there is nobody crazier than Ken Meyers, and nobody can out fish him...
aYup, the FishMiester IS Good! :D
Sounds like you had one of those Dream Days ogobogo! Congrats!!

fishortho said:
Of course no one will believe you until you show them some pictures...
LOL! With all the fish that are in, and given who he was riding with, it's no stretch! That said, I am indeed looking forward to the pix! Would be out there myself today, but I have this strange aversion to the weekend crowding conditions... Tomorrow is another story entirely!! :lol:

Cheers,
Nog

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Sounds like you had a great trip ogo...wish I had been there....can't wait to see those pics...
well done,
rib

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Sounds like a fantastic trip Ogo ............. congrats. And who says only the postman will brave the wind, the snow, and the sleet. :wink:

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
fishortho said:
I, too have also suffered the fate of the "time thing" on this site. If you start a story you have to keep typing and quickly! If you leave your computer and come back to your writings...it is gone!! Can this be addressed by the mods.?....Ortho 8)
Ogobogo.............WELL DONE!!!.Of course no one will believe you until you show them some pictures........ :wink:
Happened to me as well, a few times. I finally learned to put down my longer messages in a word document and then cut and paste it into the forum. Saved me a ton of frustration.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
The word approach works well...I find I just highlight and copy the whole thing every once in a while, and then I can paste it back in if it clears while I'm away from the screen...posting it early, before it's finished and then going back and editing it to completion works well too, although it shows up that you edit it a whole bunch, you don't lose anything, and can read it exactly how others will see it...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I love the stamp too. I had a similar expierience ogo but in one day with murphy's. Nice report dude!

Hotrod

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey Hotrod, nice to see that you're not just lurking :lol: :lol: :lol
Ortho and I just booked Matt at Murphy's for the 27th, gonna be kickass,
I hear that you became acquainted with Kenny Meyers earlier this year, he tells me that contrary to your post, you must not have been in too much trouble with your sunk boat, as you were still standing on it fishing when he arrived to save your ass!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey guys you better get your jet boat trips in this year cause next year you wont be alowed to fish out of the boat above the bucket. they tried to post it this year but not sure , might be efective jan 1 2007 . fishing has been hot 5th trip tomarrow , our last trip we hit 25 in the upper 6 winters

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, I guess that the guys in boats have a real negative impact on the shore guys, I mean especially since the whole area above the bucket is SO EASILY ACCESSABLE from shore. I know firsthand how sensitive the jets are to guys on shore, and wont go anywhere near them, or their water. just some a-hole in gov't making like King of the World. You are definately right, though, now's the time!

·
Registered
6 Posts
ogobogo said:
yeah, I guess that the guys in boats have a real negative impact on the shore guys, I mean especially since the whole area above the bucket is SO EASILY ACCESSABLE from shore. I know firsthand how sensitive the jets are to guys on shore, and wont go anywhere near them, or their water. just some a-hole in gov't making like King of the World. You are definately right, though, now's the time!
the up side is that you will be able to fish bait , not like it's stopped many before!

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
Happened to me as well, a few times. I finally learned to put down my longer messages in a word document and then cut and paste it into the forum. Saved me a ton of frustration.
Yes. Plus, it's a good idea to store ones fishing journal stories elsewhere just in case. There are a ton of fond memories, not to mention valuable technical info that can be reviewed before your next excursion.

Does anyone know how I can contact Nick Hennyj? He's a local guide in Port Alberni that has a employee/guide I hired last March that had me and my cousin into some beauty winters in the upper river using jigs and plugs. We avoided all kelts and only had two small bows hooked that were long line released. I want to hire this guy again.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ahhhh, jigs and plugs in the upper, and good ole Matt on the oars.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey IronNoggin, since you seem to be the local around those parts i'll throw a few questions at ya (if you dont mind). I'm planning a trip to the stamp for the 27th and it sounds like the steely action is good! Is this true? Is there alot of shore accessible spots? Where is the best area to fish? I fished the stamp years ago with success. Im sure i ve got all the right artillery to entice these chromies, but is there a bait ban? Thanks Noggin, anyone else please feel free to reply
Thanks
James
Tight Lines

·
Registered
56 Posts
Guide costs??

Never hired a guide before, and from past posts it seems that this is the way to go on the stamp! I'm aware of the the local guides to contact, but does anybody know the costs for a day on the river for 3 guys?? Do i have to book in advance, or could i get out before the new year??
Thanks in advance
James

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
James, better book a guide soon, the best are booked for a couple of months in advance. call david murphy, at murphy's sportfishing
boat for two is $400, and to stay at the lodge is about $80. kenny meyers will be $350 for two, but his boat is a little tighter. you can also ask at the local tackle shop, they'll hook you up with someone. shore spots are limited, and with the fishing the way it is now, they'll be at a premium, even during the week. I can tell you one thing for sure, it will be the best money you ever spend on yourself! :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts