BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was up early yesterday to catch the first ferry over to the rock for a day trip to this mighty river.Got to thew river by 9:30 and sterted pounding it right away.Went to the top of the Sproat first and for the first couple of hours nothing here.So up the Stamp we went.River conditions were good but to our efforts no takers.I started to wonder where all the fish were.It seems fishing here for the last while has been scarce at best and certainly not what I remember about the number of fish that grace this sysytem.Where are they all? It would seem that there were low numbers of fish from what I remember and what pressure they have gotten over the last week or so.It seems that every dog and his day was out on the river.It was hard to find a spot that hadn't already fished by someone else.What to do?Go into the no bait zone? Yes we did.A good thing as there were little fisherman up there and first cast in I hooked and landed a beauty 8lb wild doe that had the brightest green back I have seen this year.After that back into that same spot and whamm! Fish on!Played it for awhile and finally came unhooked as I was about to land it.Went farther up river and anchored a spot that usually holds a good number of bullets but nothing until I decide to check on last slot at the back of this run and my float goes down with authority and its fish on! This steelie has no intention of coming in and after a brief encounter it runs down river and breaks off.Oh well!
We worked our way down river checking all pockets and rifles and anywhere a stellie might hold and no takers here.As the afternoon got later began to notice the river was colouring up fast to a cloudy green as the rain was coming down pretty good.When we got close to the no bait zone border I threw out the gear into this nice pocet in front of this big rock and it was FISH ON! A great fight this one gave and turned out ot be a 9.5lb doe that is now on the way to the dinner table.So back to the pocket I go and first cast another fish on and this was is bigger and stronger than the one I just landed and I see it's a hatchery fish too.YEEE HAAA! In the end I lose it after a good ten min. fight. By now the river up here has about 2ft of vis and it's getting dark so we start for home.

In the end I was into six fish and oddly my buddy got nothing except a couple of bites.Tough day for him but alot of fun fishing pockets in the upper river with no pressure from anyone but us.

Hotrod

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Thanks for the report, Hotrod./.......sounds like things went pretty well after all.....You must know every sq. inch of that system by now? Glad to hear you got into some fish!!....Ortho

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great report Hotrod, I'm heading up to the Stamp for three day's in Feb with a buddy, and I really enjoy reading your post's. Gets me pumped up about the trip and I hope you save me a fish or two
Who know's, maybe see you up there

Musicman

S

·
0 Posts
It sounds like u had a good day on the flow with a couple fish to hand. I hope u guys didn't have to go up to the falls to get your fish? thats one area i think the jet boats should leave to the bankies and pontooners.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts