BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidently backed by boat and trailer too far up my driveway and in the process, the full stand up canvas top with steel tube frame hit the top of my garage. The 1 inch steel tube frame was bent in two places and when I removed the canvas the tubes fell apart. I could easily order a whole new assembly from the dealer but that would be expensive. Seeing as though the canvas did not rip and can be used again it would make sense to simply replace the steel tube. Does anyone know a boat-friendly place in BC that does this kind of work?

·
Registered
423 Posts
any decent top shop should be able to look after it I would talk to Rick at valley custom covers in chilliwack about it...he uses the best materials out there... or Hearts Upholstery in Abbotsford

·
Registered
468 Posts
I haven't had much luck with acceptable customer service and boat tops up here in the okanagan, I have used Valley custom covers as TNT mentioned and they do good work. However they will probably want your boat to fit the new tubes and Chwk. is a little out of the way. What about buying some tubing and buying or renting a tubing bender to take a shot at it yourself? The brackets and hinges are just riveted on so the biggest problem is just the bending. Try filling the tubing with sand when bending to reduce crushing. Or try Jerry's carline muffler in Kelowna, they bend up custom racks and roll cages etc. in fact they claim they can bend up anything.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Big Green Machine:

Tube bending is not as easy as it sounds and that’s because to set the tubing right so the canvas fits means there’s several bends to be made. There’s the two side bends and a ‘crown’ bend: don’t include this and your canvas will sag. Plus, unless the measurements are exact you’ll get a ‘Conestoga Wagon’ effect and, again, the canvas won’t fit.

When we started the canvas/upholstery department at Brigantine it didn’t take long to get the fabric side as we wanted it yet getting the frame bent right took longer. We went through a heck of a lot of polished aluminum tubing finding the right percentages of bend: now we know it. Trust me on this; if you’re out fractions of an inch you’re hosed.

What we found was all canvas work is custom. No two boats, even from the same mold, are the same. That’s why we ask the boat come in so we can work on it. We can’t put a top on a boat guesstimating the fit.

As for tubing you have a choice of polished aluminum or stainless steel (stainless costing a lot more) so I’d go with aluminum. Does the job and lasts years.

One last about bending tubing for boat canopies. We spent a lot on bending technology and, truth be told, wasted money. Tubes crinkled at the bends and the fit to canvas was poor. What we learned was to get the fit right we had to bend consistently. Don’t do that and patterning of the canvas is a waste of time because it won’t fit. I mentioned we went through a lot of tubing but, also, we spent far too much time on resewing to fit because of the variances in tube bending.

As I said, now we have it down pat and my best advice is don’t do it yourself. Guaranteed, if you do, your canvas won’t fit.

Up to you. I’d suggest calling us at Brigantine (ask for Faith) and get a quote. We can do it lickety-split and faster than if you tried to bend your own tubing.

Best,

MichaelR

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's excellent advice Mike. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I ordered the part that was bent from the dealer but as you say - even that is no guarantee that it will fit the canvas as each set up is unique. I may jsut phone the dealer up and cancel the order. Hopefully it's not too late. I'll call Faith to make arrangements to have the canvas fitted with a new steel tube.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts