BC Fishing Reports banner

Stand Up Paddleboard Question...

5K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Reece 
#1 ·
I used to mainly fish for trout in local lakes, and sometimes Steelhead in local rivers. But due to a bad back, I gave up on my pontoon boat and finally lost interest. That was till I seen people fishing from Stand-up Paddleboards! http://www.boatstogo.com/images/Inf...UP330X/inflatable-paddle-board-SUP330X-15.JPG Well, I just have to try that!

My question is, if I troll a croc or spinner behind me as I amble around Indian Arm or Burrard Inlet, will I catch anything? I'm not expecting salmon or anything this time of year obviously, but as someone who never fishes salt I thought I would ask. Any advice is appreciated :)

Mcphisto

#2 ·
I have thought about this too.

I wouldn't hesitate to try towing a weighted line out around the channel markers at the end of Spanish Banks.

I know you can buy boards that are meant to be fished but there are also aftermarket rod holders you can add on to them as well. I have seen stainless ones that have a cooler built into them that mount directly behind the centre where you would normally stand to paddle.

Good chance at pinks up Indian Arm as well.

#3 ·
I bought a paddleboard made for fishing, well it has numerous tie-down points and is very stable, I also bought a milk-crate from Rona and made some rod holders from PVC pipe. I can tie my cooler down and can have a seat or stand up. No worries if I need a wee too...unlike my times spent in a float-tube! ;)

#10 ·
I'd be a bit leery at the Cap Mouth...maybe further out Ambleside but given the sh*tshow that happens there with the boats....not to mention current I'd likely stay away directly from the mouth. Not to mention you'll likely have a fair bit of line out behind you unless you figure out how to put a down rigger on your board. :p

I think an early morning paddle out by the channel markers along Spanish Banks would be a great spot.

#11 ·
Paddle boards and fishermen, especially on rivers have a tough time being compatible. On a recent drift on the Check a group of paddleboarders came down the river and in between standing tall and waving their arms and falling off the boards into the pool we were fishing, they pretty much showed absolutely no respect for the two guys they paddled through.
As far as the Cap goes, I am with Pippen on this. It is not a place for a small boats!..The deepwater currents are very tricky and many guys get their gear fouled up in that area. Better to fish from shore........Ortho

#19 ·
a group of paddleboarders came down the river and in between standing tall and waving their arms and falling off the boards into the pool we were fishing........Ortho
OK...so you didn't say they wern't proficient...I guess I have a vivid imagination...sorry.

Pippen....I can assure you I am chill. I would think that the paddle boarder who decides to A: not put the rod into the holder and B:not paddle to a safer local, but instead battles a 2-6 pound "monster" into the rip.....into freighter traffic...........relax, it's called the Darwin Awards. But boats should treat a guy battling a fish the same regardless what "boat" they ride on!

People, my point is that all of us have the same right to our waters. The fact that your boat has a price tag with several extra zeros as the average paddle board, will not make a difference. I get it, guys in "real" boats don't want these knuckle heads f-ing up there day. With that (pardon the pun)-I'm on board. I try my damndest to not be one of those fools! This is what my taxes comment referred to.....we all have the same rights as Canadians. One more point....about the safety aspect. Sorry, as a Kayaker (it is a sweet fishing kayak I must say at least once) the risk is certainly part of the attraction. The challenge, risk, and adventure simply cannot be gotten in your average boat. Again....idiots will always find a path to your front door. Let's just hope they don't procreate???

So if you all see me out there, please presume that "I" will not not get in your way and cause you a headache and I will presume that "you" will not drive by me at full speed and cause me headache and safety issues :cheers:

#14 ·
Really? Do you not believe you have a right to be on the same water as "boats"? One story of a few ignorant individuals has convinced you to "stay out of the way"? Do you pay taxes?...if not, please ignore this.

Fishortho....do you really believe that a person can't become proficient at paddle boarding? Proficient to the point that they might be able to be respectful of other water users? Are you really bunching all recreational paddlers in the same "boat"?

I am not a paddle boarder, but I do fish from a kayak on occasion, so yes, this issue does raise my ire from time to time. And I do pay my taxes. I can assure you that with the ever rising cost of living (-read gas), you ARE GOING TO SEE MORE AND MORE PADDLE SPORT ENTHUSIASTS ON THE WATERS. Yes....there will be idiots...probably lots of idiots:mad:....Mcphisto, just don't be one of "THEM".

#17 ·
I didn't say they were not proficient, nor do I believe people cannot become proficient In fact when you stand on a paddle board and navigate moving water, you have to be very proficient. They were all professionally outfitted with dry suits/helmets,vests, gloves. They could have quietly drifted thru the pool we were fishing just as the kayakers generally do on the chilli/vedder. Some education required here.
As a former white water canoeist, I have considerable experience with small craft in moving water, lakes and the ocean. My point leans towards the safety issue here, my friend. I have personally fished the mouth of the cap in small boats and from shore for years and I stand by my comment. "It is NOT the place for small craft". The marine traffic is really heavy there at times and their are plenty of other areas that are a lot safer.
On another note, what does "paying taxes or not" have to do with this thread?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.