BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any contact info for a good ,reliable ,fast starter rebuilder in the valley that does marine starters..Seems my bendix is hooped and won't engage the starter...It was a long trip back upriver on the kicker yesterday...

· Registered
909 Posts
Re: Starter rebuilders

Hey Abby,
If your into coming to the "wack" take over to Gus's Electric on railway ave
I've never been let down with parts and service there, if there's a strange on they'll have it, or get the parts quick. For the domestic stuff not a problem
604 792 4669
Cheers,
Crazy D

· Registered
584 Posts

go see Dragon at A-1 starters in chilliwack. We send lots of starters there, he is quite good, he will even rewind if neccessary!

· Registered
691 Posts

Another vote for 'Gus'

And sure as heck as it's the namesake of the man who invented it you can go ahead and call it a Bendix ;D

· Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Got the starter done and back in. The old one was was on its last legs . I ended up getting a new one from Western Starter, they do all our work for the Fire dept. and his price was excellent, they also rebuilt my old one and I will keep it in the boat with the two wrenches needed taped to the side of it in a ziplock sealed bag(Good suggestion from Thomas at TNT).
BUT,after changing out the starter it turned out my motor was hydrolocked. We last shut it off on Saturday it dieselled/ran on real bad for 20 seconds and then stopped...While dieselling and coughing it sucked in water through the exhaust and into the cylinders. This caused the no crank as you can't compress water on the upstroke..
A friend told me about this possibility so I pulled the spark plugs and out came some water...Cranked it over by hand ,then with the starter, A little oil into the cylinders and changed the oil...
Fired it up (took about 5 minutes)and went fishing yesterday. Ran well and started excellent(much faster spin on the new marine starter). When we were done and had the trailer back on the boat I changed the oil while it was warm again just to be safe.
Hopefully all will be well. It seems to run fine and all the readings on the guages are normal..
I didn't realize this was as common as it is..
I adjusted the idle to 650 rpm and it doesn't diesel at all now after multiple shutdowns yesterday..
It pays to have contacts with wider experience that can share ideas and fixes.It sure saves time bashing ones head against the wall :wallbash:.
Now my son thinks I'm a master boat mechanic,NOT, I just am good at following instructions!! :beerchug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.