BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone out there had any information about starting up a charter boat. i know there is a guiding liscene and that u need a minimum of 2500000 libility coverage. i also heard there is an exam, i was wondering where they offer it? and im also just wondering the process to get started. it will be for the salt water, im having trouble getting information about it through the internet, i found the freshwater very easily.

any other information about starting out or tips would be much appriciated

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'm just going to point out that the courses and info, the good and the bad are all in recent posts.
Adding more would only encourage people not to read before asking what has already been stated..
Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have been looking through the forum and am unable to find where the previous post are related to this topic, could u perhaps give me the title of the previous thread

·
Registered
15 Posts
well unless you have a group of contacts already wanting to fish it is hard to make it work. I have chartered for 30 years and without having a back up of client's it's a hard thing to break into.

·
Registered
572 Posts
You need, ROC-M Radio licence, Marine Emerg Duties 3, Small Vessel Operationg Certificate, First Aid Marine Basic, Boaters Certificate. Your boat will have to meet Transport Canada TP-1332 Standards. Unless it is pre-2005 construction, however it will most likley need some upgrades. Like fishinfool said,"it's a hard game to break into".

The only way I make a go of it is to have a winter job...

Bret

·
Registered
770 Posts
well unless you have a group of contacts already wanting to fish it is hard to make it work. I have chartered for 30 years and without having a back up of client's it's a hard thing to break into.
Going to be even harder making money targetting the Asian rockfishing crowd for a charter Fishin'Fool........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts