BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

It is a nice day. I can't stay in home anymore. Drove to Stave river . Start from the west bank. Hate the non parking sign. But I parked at Ruskin park where has a big parking lot. just need to walk 5 to 10 mins to the bank. fished two spots on west bank and only see 1 chum with white belly and a trout size jack coho being caught. Most of guys are drift fishing with a few fly guys.

Moved to east bank with a lot more people there. Tried to avoid most of crowd out side of spawn channel , I walked through the bush to the bank. after 20 mins , I found out I was the only guy doing drifting. All other guys are BB ~~~~. I don't really oppose BB because 1) It is legal. 2) It is effective under certain conditions. But mann, the river there is quite slow even to drift fishing. With the clarity of the river , the fish will be spooked easy , so I don't have any success. there is only 1 old totally black chum being BBed and bonked.

I think in Fraser river, BB is a good way to go because water is too fast and not clear enough to let the fish see the drifting presentation. If you have to do it in stave river, close to dam is a good place because the water are fast, and you won't spook the fish coming up and the drifting guys don't have much chance.

In the spawning channel there are lots of chum, and they are spawning too. When I am leaving, I saw a guy walked to the channel with some kids and starts to fish there . I tried to say "DFO will give you a ticket". The guy has no response . So I took a picture and called DFO

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's ridiculous especially since the main flow seems to have plenty of room to fish. Have they not put up signs restricting fishing in the spawning channel? Good that you tried to 'educate' him, even though he was unreceptive...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ya, some people will claim to not be aware of the regs, but as you found out, are probably fully aware of whet they are doing and will carry on their way breaking the rules... Beauty.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You did the right thing, let them know it's illegal in case they were unaware. If they want to carry on setting a stellar example for their children by doing something illegal, move along...Don't let these idiots ruin your day fishing, they're not about to go away anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Unclesam............You seem to be sending a mixed message with your post.....BB.OK in the Stave?..........The Stave River has lots of fish, coho, springs, and chum right now....They can all be caught with conventional methods without the Fraser floss techniques....The DFO were extensively questioned by me during the height of the run last year and I was told they will target "repeat offenders" that are fishing illegally....HAvn't see that yet!........I suggested to DFO they post clear signs on the channel and markers (triangles) on the closed waters????....no such signage exists that I know of......LAstly I asked why they allow so much blatent snagging, they said they would "rather have all the idiots in one place"......
I say hand out Bent Rods jigs and floats and allow them to be more productive. This would also give them an opportunity to catch some decent fish, instead of all those "boots" they take home....just my 2 cents ...................Ortho

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
All they have at the Stave is two triangles on the bridge at the boat launch that say "fishing boundary". Not nearly informative enough if you ask me, especially with the crowds the river receives. DFO needs to publish and distribute ethics and techniques booklets/pamphlets to those that acquire a fishing license, perhaps distributed by mail. Something's gotta give.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unclesam............You seem to be sending a mixed message with your post.....BB.OK in the Stave?..........The Stave River has lots of fish, coho, springs, and chum right now....They can all be caught with conventional methods without the Fraser floss techniques....The DFO were extensively questioned by me during the height of the run last year and I was told they will target "repeat offenders" that are fishing illegally....HAvn't see that yet!........I suggested to DFO they post clear signs on the channel and markers (triangles) on the closed waters????....no such signage exists that I know of......LAstly I asked why they allow so much blatent snagging, they said they would "rather have all the idiots in one place"......
I say hand out Bent Rods jigs and floats and allow them to be more productive. This would also give them an opportunity to catch some decent fish, instead of all those "boots" they take home....just my 2 cents ...................Ortho
HA HA. I like the DFO saying that they would rather have all the idiots in one place. What a interesting point. Talking about illegal, BB is not illegal. I don't like people use them in stave, but it is a quick way to get something if you can't get any thing using other method.

I'd like to pickup some bent rod jigs if they will hand out some.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ooooh, count me in for some free jigs!!

I was at the Stave River earlier today and wow, most people are drifting for once! The bottom-bouncers were hilarious because they keep getting snagged up by others or rocks. There were a few "drifters" however, who "rip their line" at the tail of their drift though. I managed to get a bite, but it got away within 10 seconds of setting the hook and I came home happy knowing that my drifting skills has improved a bit after 5 hours.

As a side note, the spawning channel was empty of anglers today, despite the river being full of people! That's definitely a good thing.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to BB for Chum ::) As Ortho said throw on a Nice fluffy Bent rod jig and its sooo much fun (nice SHORT leader - 12 - 16" - and SHORT float!! - I watched these idiots (ooops did I say that) across from me bbing - snagging fish in the tail... one guy thought he had a spring on ::) it was a chum in the butt! It was a sorry sight really!
Obviously guys that CANT fish :p Oh and by the way - I was OUT FISHING them with my jigs....:D:D
Makes you kinda sick to watch these guys and they think they are SUCH fisherman ::)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Man, those "Bent Rod" jigs are sure nice to look at, and well made. I've had so many "Jim's Jigs" fall apart without ever touching the rocks on the bottom. Some generous angler left one on the river bank the other day, so I rigged it up below my float and hooked a beauty spring within a couple minutes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts