BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was intending on hitting the Ved today but slept in as i was so tired
So i decided to just hit the stave for a few hours
Lots of people there when i arrived so i went over the dam and walked down river to a spot that was empty
I started with orange wool but nithing so changed to green, nothing so put on some chartuse
first cast fish on
nice little battle and un hooked a nice doe (chum)
Then i was joined by two guys using the b method
sure they were hitting fish but all were mid to lower part of the fish :wallbash:
next cast for me and fish on another nice doe (Chum)
The run was about 4ft deep tailing off to 3ft where i was getting the hits
I was holding back on my float allowing my hook to be ahead at all times and they were hitting it hard and all females
I decide to take a lunch break
so i sat down and are a peanut butter sandwich
then i noticed that my feet were in the water
i guess they were letting more water out of the dam as it was coming up fast
This then spoiled the run i was fishing and there were not as many fish jumping
i moved to the other side of the river
Some guys were fishing dead water with there floats just sitting there
the only way they were hooking (snagging)fish was when the fish moved around in the hole :wallbash:
I found a spot where the water had a nice flow and put on a spoon
i was casting out just short of the fast flow and allowing it to sink and reeling in just before it hit the bottom
The fish were hitting it as it was sinking all but one were in the top of the mouth
One hit so hard and gave so many head shakes i thought it was a HO
Water level was still rising and the flow kept changing
It was just nice to get out and hook some fish (in the mouth) :happy:

· Registered
1,539 Posts
yeah I had the same experience on the fly...nothing til chartreuse.

I hooked one that hit hard and was shaking harder than I had before...didn't feel like the others, so my heart said COHO. not that I know what they feel like....but hopes were there.

as fast as it started....it was over. It felt like getting dumped. d*mn hoes!

· Registered
454 Posts
Britguy glad to here you had a good day. :thumbup: :thumbup: BTW the tide on the Fraser was pushing up hard yesterday as to stop the flow enough to cause a boat anchor the wrong direction (bow facing down river). This can happen all the way up river to Misson. Have noticed tide at Vedder canal as well. :) :) I'm sure it will affect the Stave as well as it is real short and small elevation rise.

· Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup tide has a big effect on the stave. Too the point where water that is moving pretty well slows all the way down to a slow walking speed.
This was the reverse the flow got quicker all around the river
and there was a fair flow comming out from the dam :hmmm:

· Registered
77 Posts
I was thinking about heading to the Stave river on Monday with a buddy of mine to chuck some flies .......I was there last mon and caught chum after chum.....some took me for a nice ride on my 9 weight!...they looked decent and were actually hitting flies pretty hard.......I realize that weather has a huge roll but what are your thoughts on hitting the stave this mon?....are their still decent chum?.....coho?.....last time we were mostly targeting chum but if there are other fish in there I'd love to know to target my first coho this year!......I had good luck on chum but any tips for flies,depth,drift,tips/lines would be appreciated.......tight lines....cheers

· Registered
186 Posts
Took home a fresh doe for the smoker yesterday ... saw one other nice chum kept ... had to straighten out a couple of guys ... for a lack of courtesy (jumping in line upstream ...leaving their lines hang'in in the flow across in front of 3 or 4 people so they couldn't cast) ...all in all though a fun day.

· Registered
29 Posts
Fished there yesterday. What a gong show!
Didn't know when you clean your fish, you can leave the head and tail behind??? or better yet, just take the fillets!
Cant believe how many chum there are! and the size of these monsters!!
Was there from 3pm till dusk. Fly fishing, not trying to land a chum. Actually caught a couple little whitefish just as the sunset.
Saw one guy around 5:30 keep a coho, maybe 6 or 7 pounds.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Back in the olden days when we were kids, there was actually a really good fishery for whitefish in the Stave, Williams Nymph comes to mind. Close to a standard rolled muddler but with no head, chum fry imitation I would guess as there really weren't any real fry patterns available back then as there is now :hmmm: :hmmm: When the water was gonna be released, a big horn would blow from the dam meaning, get the hell out of the water and up on dry ground!

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Bronjuan-didnt you start a thread on landing big fish with a flyrod ??? (cant find it now) and you still went and broke your rod :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: You should hit the river with us this upcoming weekend ;) I'll show you how "not" to break your rod :cheers:

· Registered
1,539 Posts
lol no that wasn't me.

I was being an idiot...I hooked a boot in the gill plate and I was mad...thought the fish was done I gave it a yank to pull it up on shore using the using 10inches above my cork as leverage. Fish wasn't done. It went haywire as I was doing that and my rod exploded.

Learned a couple lessons today. use lighter leader. don't be impatient.

I had never broke a rod before in my life. So I didn't really expect it.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
i will give everyone reading this the best tip for landing fish you intend on releasing with a fly rod. Try your best to do it in kneee deep water or water at least deep enough that the fish doesnt touch bottom. this will keep them alot calmer for you to reach down and grab the hook to pop it out :cheers:

I do this with my gear also as i find it the easiest way. especially with big fish that could possibly break things :wallbash:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.