BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,160 Posts
According to this they stocked around 14700 Steelhead fry, with cutties and bulls on the loose there its no surprise that they only get back a 100 or less adults, seems kinda strange way to actually enhance something.
I woulda thought 50,000 smolts might be more likely to produce a fishery.
Sorta seems like a project made to fail, not really surprised though.

Another startling aspect here is they use Vedder HATCHERY fish for this, a practice they claim as being no good.

BC Hydro should be fully funding the Stave river Steelhead enhancement as litigation for completely destroying a famous Steelhead River.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya i noticed that as well. wouldnt it be better to put the Vedder ones back in the Vedder? :confused: then there would be that many more for us to catch there to support the large amount of guys fishing it. I think maybe the reason they put them in in different times might be to "try" to avoid having them eaten by other fish :confused: just a thought. does anyone know the normal return this river recieves?? BR mentioned 100 or even less is this a close number, if so thats very sad. and yes Chrome13 the Stave gets ALL those chum but get alot of Coho as well and a few chinook (if you can find them).

ok if they release smolts in the Vedder for steelhead then why do they release the fry into other rivers? why not pen them until they are bigger to help with survival rates?

· Registered
2,348 Posts
HOOK said:
ok if they release smolts in the Vedder for steelhead then why do they release the fry into other rivers? why not pen them until they are bigger to help with survival rates?
Bigger release size=higher cost per fish as holding them longer increases food bills and Labor etc.

With the current provincial government, fisheries and the environment is a low priority with many related ministries taking huge funding cuts the moment Campbell took over.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stupid Campbell gov't!!! it seems he has screwed up everything :pissed: in some way/shape or form. I would pay a higher steelhead tag fee if i knew it would go DIRECTLY to the hatcheries for steelhead rearing. I would also pay a higher tag fee for salmon if i knew for sure it went to salmon rearing as well however all salmon are released as fry so they tend to get yummied by all the other fishies :happy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.