BC Fishing Reports banner

Stave River

869 views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  coho_killer 
#1 ·
any reports on the Stave? me and a buddy are thinking of heading out there tomorrow. chums, coho, anything in there yet?

#2 ·
A little early yet. The rivers on the north side of the fraser are always 2-4 weeks later then the ones on the south. Although there are a few in there around this time, they are few and far between.

#6 ·
HOOK said:
there could also be the odd Spring in there. they like to stack up by the dam :cheers:

flyguy we should toss in the 'toons and get away fromt he crowds. Later when more fish show up i mean. ;D
On that topic, do you think that the Stave is calm enough for a belly boat? I've heard lots of safety debates about belly boats on moving water so that doesn't need to be rehashed, but that river seems fairly flat and it seems like it's probably doable without putting my life in danger. Any thoughts?

#7 ·
I have seen lots of guys in the "toilet bowl" area in belly boats and also seen guys down by the pilings in belly boats. they are usually doing better then guys on shore. if you ever feel your getting into trouble, say with a big fish taking you to the fraser just kick upstream and break off. A pontoon would be safer obviously or even a proper boat but a belly boat is for sure do-able

#8 ·
Thanks very much Hook. Now I'll be able to chase those roving bands of cutties that I see there and can never get to. I'll let you know how it went when I give it a shot.

Ha! I was just thinking how fun it'll be a waterski behind a big chummy in October. I'm looking forward to it.

#9 ·
With all respect, you guys need to understand the difference between stillwater and moving water...The Stave is not the greatest river for a bellyboat....There are a few spots in the lower backwater sections that could produce fish, but not easy fishing and a lot of work kicking the bellyboat around. To anchor a toon or a bellyboat in water that is so popular would not be wise.
Hook, if you have drifted the Stave recently..let me know...

Ortho 8)

#11 ·
so is there any coho in the tolet bowl right now i want to fly fish for them but jsut dont want to fish the fast water and what about the stream that runs in there i want to take my buddy too take a looke hes never really seen the salmon like this before wouls there be anything in there yet

#12 ·
fishortho said:
With all respect, you guys need to understand the difference between stillwater and moving water...The Stave is not the greatest river for a bellyboat....There are a few spots in the lower backwater sections that could produce fish, but not easy fishing and a lot of work kicking the bellyboat around. To anchor a toon or a bellyboat in water that is so popular would not be wise.
Hook, if you have drifted the Stave recently..let me know...

Ortho 8)
As I mentioned in my first post, I am well very versed on the arguments against using a bellyboat in moving water. I would never anchor a belly boat in a river, because I am an air-breathing mammal and that behaviour would be counterproductive to the cause of living. I was just considering a bit of drifting and a bit of fishing from otherwise unreachable islands and gravel bars.

#14 ·
The stave is very deceptive because of the dam. Areas that look nice and calm can become moving water in no time when they open the dam up. Also this river because it is so short is also affected by the tides. On an out going tide you could be taken far down stream and out of an area that is calm and dragged into fast moving water. Just for this reason alone I would never use a belly boat it is just too difficult to just kick out of trouble.

#15 ·
HOOK said:
there could also be the odd Spring in there. they like to stack up by the dam :cheers:

flyguy we should toss in the 'toons and get away fromt he crowds. Later when more fish show up i mean. ;D
Not just by the dam, the springs that go in there also like to hang out in the new channels that they created about half way down the river.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.