BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the stave on Monday, fishing from the dam to down about 200-300 yards... I saw some fish jump but didnt catch any....I havent fished this river before....any general tips?....also on this same day as I was fishing I noticed slicks of oil/gas like liquid running past me...I tracked it up to the dam...the shore was saturated and as I left it only seemed to be getting worse...or I was just paying more attention?......has anyone heard about this?...cheers

· Banned
2,854 Posts
the oil might be from the recend repairs they did on the dam but not sure obviously. did you get a decent look at the size of the fish jumping?? should be some chum showing up over there in very small numbers, maybe a few coho as well.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
The dam might be experiencing a leak. You should give them a call to report what you saw so that they can look into it. Yes there should be some fishing moving in especially on the incoming tide as that is when they will push in. You will see more and more fish everyday as the test nets have been improving for chum.They have also done alot of improvments to the spawning channel and has brought some flow into the toilet bowl. I will be starting to hit it sometime next week with the fly rod.

· Registered
327 Posts
I was there on Oct 1.
I saw a couple of Coho and 10 or so Chum rolling. The Coho were about 10 feet out from me that's why I know they were Coho.
I fished both the West and East sides without anything.
I maybe saw just less than 20 people there fishing through 6 hours of being there.
I didn't see any slick or evidence of oil anywhere but, I wasn't looking for it.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its good to hear there was no oil slick.....I know that fishing is fishing, but why do you think you didnt get anything?..too early?...wrong bait?....I plan on heading out there on mon.....any suggestions?

· Registered
1,165 Posts
mikerotch11 said:
its good to hear there was no oil slick.....I know that fishing is fishing, but why do you think you didnt get anything?..too early?...wrong bait?....I plan on heading out there on mon.....any suggestions?
If you are drifting try one of Bent rods jigs 2-3 feet under a float :thumbup: . But remember to hang on as they hammer them. If you are chucking flies try using something with chartreuse or orange in size 6 to 4.

· Registered
327 Posts
Probably the reason was a numbers game.
Not enough numbers of fish yet :-\
I usually do pretty good at the Stave but, I usually target it there a bit later than now.
I talked to a couple of others and one guy said he had a strike but that's all. He was ther from 6 am to about 11:30 or so.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Ayrtym-if you read the thread you have posted in you will see that folks are reporting on chum in the Stave. Please enjoy BCFR, and take the time to read htrough some of the topics. You might also avail yourself of the simple to use search function at the top of the page.

· Registered
143 Posts
I noticed slicks of oil/gas like liquid running past me...
I saw the same thing last night, wading in 1-2' of water. I look down to see oil bubbling up all around me. I here they had the level down quite a lot awhile back and were using some machines to rework some of the channels. I wonder if the oil is from some leaky equipment. Sure could smell it on my waders and boots.

On a brighter note... there are some nice fish starting to stack-up. Released a nice Cutty last night and a bright Chum Buck last week.

:beerchug:
baiter

· Registered
26 Posts
I was @ Stave last Saturday (Oct. 4th) with my wife for a couple of hrs. There were about 15 or so people fishing on the east side of the river, including the toilet bowl. A couple of guys had a bite. Fortunately for my wife, she manage d to land a female chum in a decent condition. She was utterly proud that she a newbie got one & no one else did.

The morale of the story is that although a number of chums were seen rising, none were biting. Hopefully, that will change for the coming long weekend. Stave river chum fishing has a window period of only a few weeks. After that, the place stinks high to heaven, result of the decaying & rotting fish & is to be avoided.

Cheers,
Tadosan

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Thanks for the update Tadosan :thumbup:

We might head over there if the Vedder doesnt recover enough. Glad to hear there are some fish in that system.

Did you see anyone tossing flies? if so did they have any luck? I love fly fishing this river :thumbup:

· Registered
26 Posts
Hey hook,

good to hear back from u.
I did see a few guys around the toilet bowl fly fishing, but did not get up-close to see what they were using. I was float-fishing further up towards the damn. But my wife caught her chum with a pink wool on a #2 gaimakatsu hook on a 12 lb shoulder length leader.

· Registered
232 Posts
fished the Stave today from 11-3:30, saw a lot of fish, mostly chum. We were using wool of various colors, croc spoons, spinners and colorado blades, we caught nothing!!! Saw 3 fish caught using ethical methods and 10 or so dragged on shore by flossers and bottom bouncers. A few of these fish were so dark I would not even think about keeping them. I also really liked the way some of the salmon were kicked onto shore, nice landing technique!!! Wow!! (sarcasm) :wallbash: Oh well. Tomorrow I will try to fish the Vedder, I am going for 3 rivers in 3 days.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
tadosan said:
Hey hook,

good to hear back from u.
I did see a few guys around the toilet bowl fly fishing, but did not get up-close to see what they were using. I was float-fishing further up towards the ****. But my wife caught her chum with a pink wool on a #2 gaimakatsu hook on a 12 lb shoulder length leader.
I was using a fly :happy: . I fished the stave today. Started on the west side but got sick of watching the snagging so I went to the toilet bowl. Saw a few risers but they all stopped when the seal showed up. I then switched over to the main channel to try my luck at some chum. Hooked a few chum but none landed. As soon as I saw that they where big males I just broke them off. I would rather loose the fly.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.