BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know of a good hole on the cap to fish for steel?? i am working out that way for a couple of day and wonder if i should bring the rod along with me......i dont know the area very well so good directions would be very helpful....

thanks

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I believe it's been abit more than that! More like 1-200. Kinda sad knowing that it was the best in North America at one time!

Hotrod

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
My understanding is those fish are classified as an "extreme conservation concern"...although I have heard rumors to the effect of them considering lifting the "release all fish, hatchery and wild" edict that was put in place...

It is a very short river, 5 km from the hatchery to the ocean, so it doesn't take long for them to get to the top...
Right now I would bet fishing from just above the highway down to the railway bridge on the high tide could be productive, but you would have to have the benefit of some flow through there, and I'm not sure of levels right now...It's good river to explore, and you can cover several sections of it in one day.

It's definitely worth a shot...head up to the hatchery and observe the tailout of the cable pool, if they've arrived in any decent numbers, you'll see some holding in that tailout...If they're there, I would leave those fish be, and work the water downstream from there. Fishing cable pool for them is not very responsible as landing them there does not have the fish's best interests in mind, besides you have to release them all anyways...Fish the pocket water below cable, dog leg, and then hit mid canyon...but check your tides...there can be decent fishing in the lower river if you time it right.

Remember, you have to release not only wild fish on the capilano, but also the hatchery fish!!! Don't forget that when you see that adipose fin missing...

Good luck,
rib

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info Rib....i was in the area close to the mouth yesterday and the water was high and dirty (looked like it moves very fast)....i dont think i will bother fishing for steel in the Cap based on your post....I wont have enough time and or patience to make it worth my while.......as always great info from you Rib

Cheers

G

·
i fished the cap many times last year for steel . the first few times i though that river had no fish returning .i met some guy up there that told me he caught around 1 or 2 a week he is there all the time .ive never caught a steelhead in the cap .its not my fish of choice .but i did however see many nice looking fish swimming around the cable pool and dog leg. one time i was fishing for blue backs late in the steel season .seen a big male showing his colours off a few feet from shore he had two smaller does close by, it was cool watching them do there fish flirty thing .one doe would come close to the male they would circle around each other rolling in the water that went on about 25 mins or so then the male split it was cool . i havent even botherd going to the capthis year after the floods the water is to dirty ill wait for the blue backs to come in .cant wait i bought some nice shinny new croks for them to chew on

·
Registered
225 Posts
things I learned on the cap today
1) flourocarbon leader sucks. not as tough as mono. 1 fish gone.
2) keep hooks sharp...2 fish gone. thanks for the hand shake.
3) side chanels are important to check. one juvenile to the beach.
4) I had no idea that pocket water meant the size of an actual pocket. :eek: . 6lb buck to hand and a big kiss on the cheek and off you go. :D

5hrs on the river. west and north van sides. gauge was @ 5/6 so a little high and fast to say the least. lots of up and down canyon walls. 9 separate pools/runs. I'd say it's one hell of a lot of work for a fish but hard work always seems to have a way of being rewarded. this is the first time I have ever caught steel on the Cap. 5yrs trying and 8yrs on the river. I got very very lucky today!!!! The run is small and they hide very well.If you're not familiar with the river and all the little hiden spots I think there are other rivers in the lower mainland that might offer up a better chance of sucess.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Well what a lucky day for you! I pounded the Cap yesterday in hopes of some steel but it wasn't ment to be. I saw no other anglers either. One thing I noticed about the Cap is that it is not so silty green anymore so I'm hoping that the worst from last falls storms is settling down and we will begin to see her back to the clear Cap that I have come to love so much!

The river came up a couple of feet from the last few days and had decent visability! No fish though!

Hotrod

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Tough to find fish though!
I went out today and managed a beauty 10-12 lb hatchery doe! My first capilano steel.It took me 10 or so visits and alot of hiking but well worth the reward

Hotrod

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Did you guys not see the small tags on those fish that says "Ortho's Fish....return me immediately to the watrer"? ;)..............Good work guys!!...........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
225 Posts
film. movie called, "kyle XY" they've taken out the railing on the platform and tried to make it look "natural". could be a jump scene. who knows. would'nt want to fall in today. 6 on the gauge and cable pool ain't much of a pool today.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.