BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right,

I came on here to ask a simple little question, and ate up nearly an hour's homework time reading other interesting stuff. And it happens all the time!

Anyway, I want opinions. I am trying to simplify my steelhead fly selection this winter. I am going to tie three patterns, one for big, one for medium and one for small. I guess all of this is irrelevant background information, because my question has to do with colour. Do you believe it is important to have contrasting colours in a steelhead fly, or are monochromatic flies effective? The monochromatic thing isn't part of the simplification, but I want to use buggers as my medium fly and I don't like how they look with more than one colour.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Single colored flys can work great, as do combo colored ones. I see your point re: the bugger. I personally like contrasting colors in my Intruder and popsicle flys. I find by mixing it up, it can add a little dimension, flash or something different that a fish may have not already been offered. However straight pink, or black as a few examples will work just as well when presented right, and I've had good results in the past by going either route. Which in the winter time presenting the fly right means just keeping the fly in the fish's zone.

Finder :cheers:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
i use both, mixed and solid. Colour wise i think black,orange,pink are the best. I like solids better for dark days and water with some colour, mixed for clearer water and light days. Bright day bright fly, dark day dark fly

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I could only use 1 colour for my steelhead flies, black it will be of course!!
Normally I should say they bigger the bait the bigger the fish, but I caught my giant 42 incher on a fly tied on a #8 size Tiemco 7999!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.