Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Deer hair (dry fly enthusiast)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like tying my flies cause u get a satisfaction when u hook a fish on one of your own, i dont tie a ton but do quite a bit of it. (50 flies a month (They're starting to stack up, need more fly boxes)) I'm a fan of rabbit fur a marabou just because they're easy but effective, u tie them on in a bunch of different ways and they'll still have a great effect on the fish.

Favourite fly of all time for steelies is a rabbit tail, palmered marabou body with a set of brass eyes, tied on a #1 low water salmon hook. Colour selection, tied in both derections with the colours (colour in the back or front) Pink/black, blue/purple, red/yellow.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Had to go with other, Rhea and ostrich can be fun, but blue eared and bronze mallard are nicer. Mind you a little coloured goose, turkey, golden pheasant crest, and maybe some JC sure do flash pretty.

Man where do you stop. Rick always get's crazy with the Grizzly, gotta love his original patterns :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Adding to eimaj's post, what about flash. Krystal flash, flashabou, mirror krinkle flash, cactus chenille, mylar. I also like to use bear, both black bear and polar bear in various colours. Kinda depends on what you are tying up.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I got lots of polar bear, never bought black bear before. I got a black lab who's fur actually works quite well ;D

·
Registered
338 Posts
I thought of it as a sort of desert island question when I voted. I voted for bunny, and I stand by it. Not to say that that is always my preferred material, but if I were limited to only one for the rest of my life, bunny it would be.

I sure do like polar bear though. Hopefully by the time they are extinct scientists will be growing polar bear hair in the lab. Maybe I could have a little patch transplanted and have a life-time supply.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.