BC Fishing Reports banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick introduction to those who have no idea what a fly swap is! A fly swap is a great way for tiers to evolve from there own patterns and see other patterns from members on this forum. It is a very simple process and here is how it works, 1 fly for 1 fly. If there are twelve people in the swap you would tie 12 flies. You send them in to the swap organizer and when the swap is done everyone will have 12 different flies, including one of their own!

Once you have decided you want to be part of the fly swap you need to tie your flies and mail them to swap organizer (myself), who will provide all the mailing instructions. Package your flies in a self addressed bubbled envelope. The packages sent should be in something that can be re used to send your flies back or send another bubble envelope with postage attached. The package used, has to be able to withstand the mail system so the flies don't crushed. If you don't send an envelope with postage attached, make sure you send enough cash in the package so the swap organizer can send the flies back to you in the package it came in. Remember, it's not cool to stiff the swap organizer, so make sure you include enough postage. When all the flies have been received the swap organizer will split them up, re package them and mail them off to each member. If you have never participated in a fly swap, they are allot of fun and get some real cool innovative fishy flies in return! (Copied from Rick Baerg - www.flyfishbc.com)

The cutoff date to join the swap is Sept 30.

The flies should be in my possession by Dec 1st. This gives you two months to tie a maximum of a dozen flies depending on how many people have signed up. I will forward everyone my mailing address after the cut-off date.

Tie whatever you want as long as they are winter steelhead flies.

Currently we have 4 people in the swap

1. Vanislealoha
2. Fishey
3. Kryptonite
4. Hook

Cheers :thumbup:

Original Post was as follows...

Hey. I'm pretty new to tying flies (as well as fly fishing for steelhead) so I don't feel to comfortable swapping my substandard, boring, unproven flies with people who tie works of art that also actually catch fish. For the upcoming steelhead season I would however like to increase the number of different flies I have in my fly box but don't want to spend any more money on new materials to tie them at the moment.

If any one is in the same boat and may not feel their tying skills are up to par at the moment to join a fly swap with some of the more experienced tiers but would like to increase the number of flies in their arsenal then let me know and I will arrange a fly swap and work out the details.

Here are the ones I tied last year (my first)

Some of those are salmon flies but at the moment I have materials to tie the Orange General Practitioners, the popsicles and those rabbit leechy looking flies in combo's of pink,purple and black. I don't know what those ones are called because I basically just buy one from a store and try to copy it. The red general practitioner is a store bought one.

As you can see nothing fancy and I would be happy just getting different colour popsicles/marabou flies or GP's. Not to say I would not want to have some spey flies or intruders to try as well!!!!

Maybe let me know by the end of the month to see what kind of interest there will be.

· Registered
258 Posts
vanislealoha said:
Hey. I'm pretty new to tying flies (as well as fly fishing for steelhead) so I don't feel to comfortable swapping my substandard, boring, unproven flies with people who tie works of art that also actually catch fish. For the upcoming steelhead season I would however like to increase the number of different flies I have in my fly box but don't want to spend any more money on new materials to tie them at the moment.

If any one is in the same boat and may not feel their tying skills are up to par at the moment to join a fly swap with some of the more experienced tiers but would like to increase the number of flies in their arsenal then let me know and I will arrange a fly swap and work out the details.

Here are the ones I tied last year (my first)

Some of those are salmon flies but at the moment I have materials to tie the Orange General Practitioners, the popsicles and those rabbit leechy looking flies in combo's of pink,purple and black. I don't know what those ones are called because I basically just buy one from a store and try to copy it. The red general practitioner is a store bought one.

As you can see nothing fancy and I would be happy just getting different colour popsicles/marabou flies or GP's. Not to say I would not want to have some spey flies or intruders to try as well!!!!

Maybe let me know by the end of the month to see what kind of interest there will be.
Vanislealoha,

Your flies look great, the most important thing is that they hold together through your casting and a few fish chomping on them.

Cheers
Nuggy

· Banned
2,854 Posts
if you hadnt said you were a beginner i wouldnt have known. Im going to be tying tons of 4inch bunny leeches for this upcoming steely season. all sorts of colour combos and stuff.....guess i better start tying then :wallbash:

I see you have tied some GP's - did you find them difficult? I have all the stuff to tie several colors of them but just havent yet ::)

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HOOK said:
if you hadnt said you were a beginner i wouldnt have known. Im going to be tying tons of 4inch bunny leeches for this upcoming steely season. all sorts of colour combos and stuff.....guess i better start tying then :wallbash:

I see you have tied some GP's - did you find them difficult? I have all the stuff to tie several colors of them but just havent yet ::)
Thanks Hook, I thought they were allright for my firsts but the have issues. Whatever I used to secure the coneheads did not hold up so they are all loose and make a nice whistling sound as they pass my ear. I will try something new this year and will probably start a new post later to find out how it should be done.

The GP's were much more difficult then the others but after the first two they seemed to turn out okay. I just tried to copy the red one I bought but also used a few websites like these:

http://www.akflyfishers.com/gp.html

http://www.flyangler.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=182&Itemid=32

http://www.westfly.com/fly-pattern-recipe/steelhead/generalpractitioner.shtml

If you want to swap any let me know.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
professori said:
Guys check out this swap http://www.flyfishbc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339 There is still room and there is plenty of time for everyone to complete their dozen flies. Your skill level won't be a problem, everyone is welcome.
Thanks for the link Prof. I saw that the other night before starting this one but I got the impression it was capped at twelve. If there is room I will give it a try but I will also keep this one going regardless and see what the response is like. More flies the better.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Vanis- I took a look at the same sort of flies at the fly shop before i wanted to tie some and the trick to getting the conehead tight seems to be dubbing a small amount of the rabbit fur (you can just use some of the thick fur on the same bunny strip) in behind the cone and then whip finish.

dont worry about the whistling anyhow as cones tend to whistle anyway i have found :hmmm: only thing i worry about is when the wind turns one at you and hits you hard :wallbash:

Is there specifics for the tied flies? I will be tying flies a little heavy for a single hander as i fish a spey for steel. would this still be ok?

mind you im going to be starting to tie a bunch of different stuff so i guess i could just use less weight (not tungsten heads) on some flies. Guess this would also make me tie somem GP's LOL

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HOOK said:
Is there specifics for the tied flies? I will be tying flies a little heavy for a single hander as i fish a spey for steel. would this still be ok?
Whatever you would tie for yourself would be fine for the swap. I don't want to make it fussy. Weighted or unweighted. Traditional, tubes, stingers anything... The only requirement I think is that the flies should be appropriate for winter steelhead. I noticed on another swap specific hook makes were required but again whatever you use is fine. I have just been using mustads salmon fly hooks and tiemco streamers so far.

I will post some general rules shortly.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
ya im interested for sure.

I tie my spey flies on Diachi hooks and everything esle on Tiemco's. tried Mustad's when i started tying but found them inferior hooks to Tiemco's

what date are you looking at to have them mailed to you? (like FF suggested)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.