BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I were deciding on what part of the vedder to start fishing. I said lets start mid river away from the crowds, but he was set on only fishing the lower. His reason being is that he thinks there would be more fish in the lower since the season is just starting up. Is this right or are these fish spread out all through the system? Hes really got me thinking now, what do you guys think? :confused:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Early fish will blast thru to the hatchery fairly quickly and early in the season, on any stream where there are hatchery fish, they will generally be found in the upper reaches close to the hatchery. New fish will continually enter the river and the main push will come, likely after the next big rain/flood/blowout....Then they will be found throughout the system........ford 8)

·
Registered
419 Posts
One thing to remember is that their focus is to get to the spawning grounds. One thing about steelhead is they will move around the river untill the time is right. They may shoot upriver very quickly and then shoot right back down just as fast. And do this several times throughout the season. So my answer is when they are in the river they could be anywhere, High or low. I'll always try to fish a section up high then mid river then down low. Another key is to try to figure out where the releases were for this years return and focus in that general area. The hatchery fish will hang out in this area for sure. Good luck out there everybody.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think the most important thing is to find water to fish away from crowds, whether it's in the lower river, mid or upper. There are fish in all parts of the river throughout the year. If you can put in the time to walk and find 'new' water, that's the best angle to take in my opinion. You might be rewarded with a great spot that not many people know about.
Cheers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The key is right place right time this part of the season, and you have to cover as much water as possible to find fish. The fish are through the system, I've heard reports of fish being caught in every section.

The key is covering water, keep walking and don't be a statue. You won't catch a fish casting in the same spot over and over, be methodical, and cover the water properly.

Once you are satisfied, keep moving to the next spot.

And most importantly, have fun!

Cheers,
Nicole

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Luck is a part of the game kinda too, my buddy has been out every day this week except for christmas day. He knows how to fish different types of water, and how to cover water properly yet hasnt hasnt had a sniff. LMAO hes getting a little agitated about the whole situation.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I know that one for sure, I finally got a 10 lb wild doe yesterday, after pounding the river December 23, 25, 26, 27 with no action at all, and I have to say it really started bugging me...

Of course that made me even more fish crazy, and that poor fish didn't have a chance :)

Tell your friend to stay focused, the worst thing you can do is second guess yourself. Fish with confidence and you will catch them...

Cheers,
Nicole

·
Registered
901 Posts
Shane said:
Luck is a part of the game kinda too, my buddy has been out every day this week except for christmas day. He knows how to fish different types of water, and how to cover water properly yet hasnt hasnt had a sniff. LMAO hes getting a little agitated about the whole situation.
lets be realistic here shane.... he knows little....very little :-*

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow Nicole, four days of fishing with no action. That is perseverance! I went through the same thing last year and then on the fifth day, I landed two decent fish within three hours. The season is still early, so let's hope for a good year

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
young gun said:
seems like that, i didn't see any fish hooked yesterday, i counted 22 guys and 3 of them were guides
Now a days anyone can be a guide LOL whether or not your a successful one is what matters. Ive seen fish hooked, been told in person by people i know that fish are being hooked. Its not early in the season at all I think Ive heard of steel being caught for close to a month now in the vedder.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey younggun you posted on another site -
"Went to the vedder today, water was cold 42 degrees and there was the perfect 3 feet of visibility in the drool green colour. Fished hard for 6 hours, and found some new water that looks like it will produce later in the year. It's still a little early i think, we managed to land one and i lost another but everybody else that we saw had nothin. (26 guys) we walked alot today spent mabey 20 minutes at each run/spot, covered alot of water. Fish were taken on kramers pink worms. if any body knows the river we walked from "on the way" down to "peach road" approximately 2 miles"
Busted ;D

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
fisherforever said:
Hey younggun you posted on another site -
"Went to the vedder today, water was cold 42 degrees and there was the perfect 3 feet of visibility in the drool green colour. Fished hard for 6 hours, and found some new water that looks like it will produce later in the year. It's still a little early i think, we managed to land one and i lost another but everybody else that we saw had nothin. (26 guys) we walked alot today spent mabey 20 minutes at each run/spot, covered alot of water. Fish were taken on kramers pink worms. if any body knows the river we walked from "on the way" down to "peach road" approximately 2 miles"
Busted ;D
LMAO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.