BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious when fish are good to keep for roe (time of year that is). Back home in Ontario fish are just getting "ripe" and the roe is still in the skein but not so immature that you cant scrape it off the skein. So between late December and early March is usually when I harvest a fish for roe and scrape it off the skein to use for tying up bags. Since moving out here I have no GOOD roe (only store bought crap) so I want to harvest a fish on my next trip out if its worthwhile. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,736 Posts
u dont need to use eggs for roe bags only, cut them in peices the size of a quarter and they work just as well. Dont kill a wild fish! only allowed hatchery, i'll take a hatch doe from december till march, doesn't make a difference. My doe had firm roe on her but some eggs came off so i'm curing them for roe bags, the rest for normal bait
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thx for the reply. Ya I would'nt kill a wild fish obviously, and don't even really take hatchery fish unless I need some roe. In Ontario we generally only fish eggs in the skein for Salmon and its salmon skein. I prefer to use roe bags of Steelhead eggs when fishing Steel but will give skein chunks a try. Thx for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,161 Posts
Just tie bags with small chunks of roe, in all honesty it works better than singles as you get strong milking and a better scent trail. I did both for years and found chunk roe placed in bags outfished singles in bags noticeably.
Another factor is you can store your roe chunk bags in jars of different scents and this also can turn on fish.

Try Herring scent, it was a killer for me.

But nowdays I catch just as many fish without roe and never have the "pinky stinky fingers" or am desperate for a roe kill.
I find Steelhead often favour sea food over all other treats, a couple bucks at the Superstore goes a long way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EZ Rolling said:
harvest a fish to eat not for roe. :naughty:
I can buy great fish in the store and would rather do that than kill a fish. Cant buy good quality roe anywhere (some may disagree) so I am forced to get it myself.

Bent rods,
Thx for the tips! Might save me some scrapin' time. Peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
[/quote]

I can buy great fish in the store and would rather do that than kill a fish. why kill a fish for roe if you would rather not kill a fish? these stealhead should not be treated like some would treat chums (killed mainly for their roe). i would think that most guys that have any respect for our stealhead would not make such a comment, or choose to be all that picky when it comes to "havesting" a stealhead. i for one would never and have never bought fish from the store, why one would choose to eat store bought over fresh stealhead baffles me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,812 Posts
Zach Sanchioni said:
EZ Rolling said:
harvest a fish to eat not for roe. :naughty:
I can buy great fish in the store and would rather do that than kill a fish. Cant buy good quality roe anywhere (some may disagree) so I am forced to get it myself.

Bent rods,
Thx for the tips! Might save me some scrapin' time. Peace
Unfortunately Zach, these fish aren't the lake reared trout Easterners love to call steelhead. They are also a sparser population than the Eastern fish, and for that reason if no other, I find the attitude you have taken to be more than a little baffling. Hopefully you will come to appreciate these wonderful fish and see them as much more than a roe factory. :peace:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL easy boys. If you knew me at all you would know I have TONS of respect for these fish. What I meant by my comment is that I don't like to kill fish so I wont kill one for food. I will kill one when I need roe though and OBVIOUSLY eat it as well. That goes without saying don't you think? If i really want to eat a fish I will go to the grocery store (not that I like supporting fish farming or commercial guys). I don't kill wild fish in Ontario either though even though Its perfectly legal. You shouldn't bash Ontario Steel either man...kinda rude, especially if you have never tangled with one. I also havent killed a fish in OVER a year and kill a max of 2 fish per year. Not that I really need to come on a public forum and explain myself but Im new on the board so I may as well get things out in the open.
professori said:
Zach Sanchioni said:
EZ Rolling said:
harvest a fish to eat not for roe. :naughty:
I can buy great fish in the store and would rather do that than kill a fish. Cant buy good quality roe anywhere (some may disagree) so I am forced to get it myself.

Bent rods,
Thx for the tips! Might save me some scrapin' time. Peace
Unfortunately Zach, these fish aren't the lake reared trout Easterners love to call Steelhead. They are also a sparser population than the Eastern fish, and for that reason if no other, I find the attitude you have taken to be more than a litle baffling. Hopefully you will come to appreciate these wonderful fish and see them as much more than a roe factory. :peace:
Reared? Not sure where thats comming from but the rivers I fish in Ontario have zero stocking since they were planted in Lake huron in the late 1800's. So in fact they are probably more wild and genetically pure than the hatchery fish in the Vedder wouldn't you say? And the last thing I think of when I think of a Steelhead is a roe factory. I guess young gun sees them as a roe factory too...I mean he killed a hatchery fish right? Hmmmmmmm. Save the rude comments bud, thanks anyways. I didn't move 4500KM from home for a roe factory. If I wanted that I would have gone down to the Erie tribs south of the border.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,520 Posts
I would definately kill a steelhead for the roe but would eat the fish too obviously! That's what hatchery fish are for.....harvesting!
I think you guys are being a little too hard >:D on Zach for his inquiries................................ cut him some slack boys!



Hotrod
 

·
Retired staff
Joined
·
6,684 Posts
I think you handled that one quite well Zach...I knew where you were coming from all along. ;)

You can get water hardened single eggs, both chum and spring, at various shops around the LM. Soaked in brine after their hardened, they aren't quite what I prefer, but they do work...

I've switched over to prawns, and various other items, as they seem to work as well or better than a decently tied bag...

Welcome to the west coast...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
some people jump to conclusions quickly Hah. :happy:

some people will tell you steelhead arent very good eating but i have always found them to be very very good table fare.. plus the roe is the best you can get!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the kinder comments guys. I appreciate it :).

Ribwart,

I grabbed a bit of water hardened Chinook roe at Freds the first weekend here but its crap. I also prefer to fish Steelhead eggs, or Brown trout eggs, but that likely is illegal here or un-obtainable (dunno if thats a word or not LOL). Anyways I'm gunna harvest a hatchery fish if I get one and she looks to be holding some eggs in her. I think I'll scrape one skein for tying bags up with and cut the other into chunks and give that a try. Thx for the help all. Peace
 

·
Retired staff
Joined
·
6,684 Posts
I've picked up containers of water hardened eggs from berry's, not sure if their the same ones Fred's uses, but I'm not fond of them either...

I find chum or chinook eggs are best, we don't really get brown trout eggs out here...most single egg supplies are taken from ripe fish, and I'm pretty sure no company would get away with taking steelhead eggs in that manner here in BC. If not for ethical reasons, then for practical ones...

Some anglers harvest loose eggs from ripe fish during incidental catches, but I am pretty sure this practice is illegal and best discouraged here...

Out of curiosity, how well does that scraping of skein for loose eggs work for ya? Any tricks to it? Maybe I'll give it a shot...

Kingpin, I agree, I think steelhead make excellent table fare...

rib
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Q

Zach Sanchioni said:
LOL easy boys. If you knew me at all you would know I have TONS of respect for these fish. What I meant by my comment is that I don't like to kill fish so I wont kill one for food. I will kill one when I need roe though and OBVIOUSLY eat it as well. That goes without saying don't you think? If i really want to eat a fish I will go to the grocery store (not that I like supporting fish farming or commercial guys). I don't kill wild fish in Ontario either though even though Its perfectly legal. You shouldn't bash Ontario Steel either man...kinda rude, especially if you have never tangled with one. I also havent killed a fish in OVER a year and kill a max of 2 fish per year. Not that I really need to come on a public forum and explain myself but Im new on the board so I may as well get things out in the open.
professori said:
Zach Sanchioni said:
EZ Rolling said:
harvest a fish to eat not for roe. :naughty:

I can buy great fish in the store and would rather do that than kill a fish. Cant buy good quality roe anywhere (some may disagree) so I am forced to get it myself.

Bent rods,
Thx for the tips! Might save me some scrapin' time. Peace
Unfortunately Zach, these fish aren't the lake reared trout Easterners love to call Steelhead. They are also a sparser population than the Eastern fish, and for that reason if no other, I find the attitude you have taken to be more than a litle baffling. Hopefully you will come to appreciate these wonderful fish and see them as much more than a roe factory. :peace:
Reared? Not sure where thats comming from but the rivers I fish in Ontario have zero stocking since they were planted in Lake huron in the late 1800's. So in fact they are probably more wild and genetically pure than the hatchery fish in the Vedder wouldn't you say? And the last thing I think of when I think of a Steelhead is a roe factory. I guess young gun sees them as a roe factory too...I mean he killed a hatchery fish right? Hmmmmmmm. Save the rude comments bud, thanks anyways. I didn't move 4500KM from home for a roe factory. If I wanted that I would have gone down to the Erie tribs south of the border.

Zach,

Dont get all worked up, hes only a fly fisherman. By the looks of things he has no idea about Ontario and our Steel from there.
I am from Ont as well. The fishery there doesnt get the credit it deserves from some anglers out west here. Some guys though do give it credit.
If you need good roe then send me a PM. I'll help you out.
Cheers man,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
Re: Q

Float Fisher said:
Zach Sanchioni said:
LOL easy boys. If you knew me at all you would know I have TONS of respect for these fish. What I meant by my comment is that I don't like to kill fish so I wont kill one for food. I will kill one when I need roe though and OBVIOUSLY eat it as well. That goes without saying don't you think? If i really want to eat a fish I will go to the grocery store (not that I like supporting fish farming or commercial guys). I don't kill wild fish in Ontario either though even though Its perfectly legal. You shouldn't bash Ontario Steel either man...kinda rude, especially if you have never tangled with one. I also havent killed a fish in OVER a year and kill a max of 2 fish per year. Not that I really need to come on a public forum and explain myself but Im new on the board so I may as well get things out in the open.
professori said:
Zach Sanchioni said:
EZ Rolling said:
harvest a fish to eat not for roe. :naughty:

I can buy great fish in the store and would rather do that than kill a fish. Cant buy good quality roe anywhere (some may disagree) so I am forced to get it myself.

Bent rods,
Thx for the tips! Might save me some scrapin' time. Peace
Unfortunately Zach, these fish aren't the lake reared trout Easterners love to call Steelhead. They are also a sparser population than the Eastern fish, and for that reason if no other, I find the attitude you have taken to be more than a litle baffling. Hopefully you will come to appreciate these wonderful fish and see them as much more than a roe factory. :peace:
Reared? Not sure where thats comming from but the rivers I fish in Ontario have zero stocking since they were planted in Lake huron in the late 1800's. So in fact they are probably more wild and genetically pure than the hatchery fish in the Vedder wouldn't you say? And the last thing I think of when I think of a Steelhead is a roe factory. I guess young gun sees them as a roe factory too...I mean he killed a hatchery fish right? Hmmmmmmm. Save the rude comments bud, thanks anyways. I didn't move 4500KM from home for a roe factory. If I wanted that I would have gone down to the Erie tribs south of the border.

Zach,

Dont get all worked up, hes only a fly fisherman.
HAHAH thats hilarious
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
as far as great lakes steelhead are concerned they were once plants from califorinia steelhead , but thats where the similaritys end. they are just fat rainbows. if you have ever caught a true pure strain B.C steelhead you would know.

sin bin here we come.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
jetboatjim said:
as far as great lakes steelhead are concerned they were once plants from califorinia steelhead , but thats where the similaritys end. they are just fat rainbows. if you have ever caught a true pure strain B.C steelhead you would know.

sin bin here we come.

I have caught both. Not much different in my opinion. Only difference is BC fish are a little more powerful and like to run when hooked. Ontario Steel head shake like no other. The fish are bigger here for the most part though on average. JM2C.
 
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top