BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was wondering if anybody could help me out. I am trying to plan a steelhead trip for either this coming fall or the next. I am planning on 2 weeks sometime between October and December. Am hoping to fish atleast a few days to a week on the Thompson, then head up and fish some of the Skeena system rivers, and maybe the Nass if time and access permits. If you guys could give me some information on a good central location to stay, maybe some areas to fish or not to fish, good weeks to plan on, boat or pontoon rentals, anything that might be of a help. I have talked to a few others that have fished these areas and have some info but would like to go into the trip with as much knowledge as possible. Thank you for any help. If you want to email me my email is gregkna @ yahoo. com.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
October could be killer! I would reccommend that you fish the far north for the first few weeks.Like hit the Terrace area for a week or so then hit the Bulkly for a week then hit the Thompson for the last week of october.You could be into some big steel for the whole month.That would be a sweet trip! Good luck!

Hotrod

·
Registered
211 Posts
Call Oscars source for sports in Smithers and talk to Bob, he`s my uncle and a great guide to go with or point you in the right direction

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
We spent the whole month of October 2006 on a fishing road trip to Terrace, head north for sure. Terrace is a good base camp, the opportunities are endles from there. We stopped for a couple days on the Stellako on the way up it was a nice break from driving and a good rainbow river, I would reccomend it. We camped at the confluence of the Lakelse and Skeena rivers, it is a nice site, centrally located and the coho fishing is unreal (you would hook or see coho in the 20lb range jump every day you hit it)! Don't overlook Nass tribs they fish very well in october. We only spent a few days in Nisga country while up there and I kind of regret it now (believe it or not one month was not nearly enough time to fish all the rivers up there). We used pretty much only size 4 blue foxes for all the rivers up there and pounded fish everywhere we went, stock up on them before you go the shops up there are pricey!

One word of warning, if you go up there it will change how you look at fishing and you will become obsessed like I am with trying to figure out a way to move up there! It truly is fishermans paradise. I would skip the T and spend your time up there you will need all the time you can get, the T can be fished any time! I agree that you should hit the Terrace area first and the Bulkley/Morice second (it fishes better in late Oct) look up the "Bimac" campground near Huston it is a good basecamp for the Bulkley.

You say you have 2 weeks, I would head up Oct 15 and stay till Nov 1. We were chased out of Bimac campground and back to the coast by heavy snow on Oct 28 when we were up there.

Hope that helps and good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information guys. The more I look into the trip, the more places I want to fish.LOL Thanks for the hardware tip Pat, we will probably be floatfishing most of the time, but I have been fishing blades more and more these days and was planning on bringing some up. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I hope i'm not late! If u can spend 1 1/2 up in the skeena. Fish everything Nass, Babine, Kispiox, Bulkley (fly only), then come down and fish the thompson! Late october early november is a great time! Good luck, hope u get into a few!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
No problem. Good luck and do bring some spoons and spinners we used hardware and float methods and hardware was far better not even a comparison.

Feel free to PM me closer to your departure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts