BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey can anyone tell me if it's worth trying for steelhead with a spincast setup, using spinners and spoons?
Thats the only rig I have and I've never tried steelhead fishing... also where is a good spot to giver a try? thanks ..

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
They work ,no question,try the spinner on a short float setup with 20-24in leader, stay off the
bottom and hold on...good luck... Marko.... ;D

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
float is perferable so u can fish the pocket water, and control where ur rig flows down the river, natural drift with a little tension will do just fine!

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
It can be very effective casting and swinging spoons...It can be difficult to get really good drifts on a spinning reel setup with a float, but it can be done well with practice. I would work on swinging spoons with that setup, make sure you're near the bottom and hang on, cause more often than not, fishing in this manner illicits a viscious strike!!! ;)

As for where you should try, I would work the larger, flatter, wider runs where the depth is relativley uniform...swing your spoon slowly, ticking the bottom every so often, and work the whole pool. Often with gear like this if you work the pool well enough, you will end up backing fish down the run with each successive swing. Usually by the time you get to swinging across the tailout, the steelie's will start to get aggravated and strike rather than leave the pool.
Hope that helps,
Rib

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
float fishing with a spinning setup up is easy, but like rib said takes practice! We all started with float fishing with a spinning setup then bait baster, and some have advanced to the center pin!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
As good as spinnerfishing can be with a float, proper hardware fishing should be done without a float.
Master hardware tossers do not use floats as it definately limits the presentations you can perform.

Spinners can be used in may ways, but as with spoons, the down and across presentations are the key to mastering this approach.

I know of skilled hardware anglers who catch handfuls of steelies on the Vedder almost every trip in Febuary and march, almost all swing spoons using low profile reels and rods specifically designed for this purpose. The key to their success is the fact that the fish there are seldom presented with proper hardware techniques as few anglers have mastered this technique properly.
If you see an angler having multi hook ups using hardware, stop and watch them, much can be learned from an hour of watching these experts fish. Spoon fishing for steelies takes years to master and can be one of the most productive ways to catch steelies BAR NONE.

Check out "Spoon fishing for Steelhead" by Bill Herzog or "Spinner fishing for Steelhead " by Jed Davis, both these reads are sure to get you on the path to more success catching steelhead.

If you see me swinging spoons on the Vedder, I would suggest not watching for an hour ;D, I'm also still in the learning curve of this technique and may teach you more about losing spoons than catching with them.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is all great advice!! i appreciate the input... i'll be hittin the vedder with a buddy in a couple of weeks.. he uses a drift setup i am gonna throw some hardware! hopefully i'll have a pic to post after! ... one more thing, is the vedder real crowded for steelhead season.. i don't want to be crossing any lines with my lures! .. is there anywhere to go where there isn't 100 people around like the salmon season!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I suggest hitting the river below the crossing and stay on the move, you will encounter long broad runs with lots of room to swing hardware. Start at the top of the runs and follow other anglers through, or look for spots without others fishing. It is a little harder to find good spots to gear fish when all others are float fishing, but you are at the advantage of showing the fish something different, so stick to it and rewards will come.

Check out these spoons from my friends company, they are accounting for truckloads of hook ups south of the border.
rvrfshr.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts