BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pondering about something. For the last year or two, I've been enjoying some Youtube vids like everyone else, usually on comedy, vids from friends, rare film clips, and even fishing vids. Now, I am aware that there are nuts out there that like to, for whatever reason, abuse the vid creator and even curse them out, then next thing you know, there's a full-on fight happening between several people, which is just a gong show. Sadly, the vids I notice that this happens the most on, is from fishing vids. It's so ironic really, being that fishing should be relaxing and therapeutic, instead of a bunch of goons fighting about fishing. Why is this? If it was an argument that made sense, that would be ok, but it usually isn't. It has blown up so much, that I'm scared to even post another vid myself. There seems to always be a critic. Fortunately for me, it hasn't happened to any of my vids yet, as I have two, on fighting a chum on my flyrod, on the Vedder. :wallbash:

I also noticed that the majority of these "abuse" vids were mainly on conventional gear fishermen. It rarely happened on any flyfishing vids that I saw. I'm sure it's a coincidence though. But of course, I saw a pattern...not to say that the flyfishing vids were perfect or free from jerks too, or that I have stats to back me up, but anyhow, that's what it seemed. I don't even know what vids they were or the names, as I was surfing through many, over the last year or two. So I wouldn't even remember. ??? For the record, I do both flyfishing and conventional, haha... :thumbup:but I do prefer the fly of course, with the risk of sounding biased. :happy:

I loved the article that came out this past summer...bear with me as I try to remember the details, I believe it was BCO, and it mentioned a parked truck at a river, a huge 4X4 truck that is, with lots of rust, a rifle hanging in the cab, bunch of empty beer cans in the back, complete with obscene bumper stickers. When the owners came out of the bush, they were flyfishermen. On another occassion, it was a luxury SUV, and the owners were bait chucking meat fisherman. That sure set my mind staright on stereotyping. Most of us would have guessed the opposite. But even still, these vids on Youtube were nasty on the comments section, it put a bad taste in my mouth. My only guess on that is that the majority of fishermen in our world are conventional-grear-type, so that's why it's perceived or even seems that way. It's the traffic flow so to speak.:peace:

Another sterotype that I found that was quickly dismissed in my mind was the Vedder and the fishermen that frequent this water. In the many years that I lived in BC, from the Island to the Rockies, and in my years in Alberta and Manitoba, I always heard the same nightmarish warnings, from fishermen reports, to articles, to friends: "be careful at the Vedder, it's overcrowded, with pissed off, city slicked, drunk, meat-fishermen, who rape the river." :beerchug:

I quickly found out that that wasn't really the case. Although hearing about a dude that got stabbed at the canal a few years ago over a fishing spot, made me "think." :confused: But in my experience, (I'm sure I was lucky too), I always met true gentlemen, both flyfishers and bait fishermen, always offering me a tip or even borrowing their gear, especially in the winter steelhead season. I was very impressed. I'm sure I have yet to meet a dink on the river, but so far I've been spared of that. :thumbup: I'm sure many of you have had good and bad experiences with other fishermen out there. I remember seeing a dude, on the north island, about 15 years ago, caught a nice humpy, he landed it, ripped out the barbed hook, jumped on it with his heavy boots, then kicked the pink back into the river. I was discusted and pissed. Now he was smashed-drunk, and I don't rememeber if he had a gun or knife, but I do remember thinking that if I push him in the river, he'll either drown of kill me. So I didn't say anything...it was just him and I...45 min from the nearest town, no cell service.

I guess my write-up here is a mixed-bag-type of blog. It's good to know however, that although there are haywire dudes out there, there's mainly cool dudes out there too. And I do commend this site and the users, all of you... awesome. I also have nothing but good vibes and experiences on here,,,many first class guys on here,,,all the way :cheers: I should spend more time on here rather than on Youtube! O0

Thanks for any feedback or input :thumbup:

augie

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would like to second your thought that there a lot of classy fisherman along the Vedder. I cross the border to fish, and the fisherman I meet along the roadside greet me as a fellow sportsman, not bothering to make an issue of my car's plate. :thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.