BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Subject: FN0547-Salmon: Sockeye Hook & Release Mortality Study - Region 2 - Fraser River, Grassy Bar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Fraser Salmon & Watershed Program (FSWP) in conjunction with the Department
of Fisheries & Oceans (DFO) is conducting a sockeye hook and release study in
the Fraser River to determine the short term (24 hour) mortality of sockeye
caught and released in recreational fisheries.

A contract biologist, Jim Thomas of JO Thomas & Associates (JOT), will be
responsible for the operational aspects of the study.

We are seeking interested volunteers to assist us in the study. We need
approximately 35 anglers each day of the study. If you are interested please
join us at the location and time noted below.

Meeting Location and Time: Island 22 boat launch each day of the study at 8:00
AM. Transportation will be available for those without boats.

Location of Study: Grassy Bar - a portion of the bar will be marked off and
used solely for the purpose of the study

Timing of Study: three 5 day time periods starting August 5th, August 18th and
August 29th

Notes:

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-
FISH.

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0547
Sent July 31, 2008 at 1117

·
Registered
167 Posts
What a joke of a study. Read on another fishing site that some nim rods, were on Grassy bottom bouncing for Springs. And DFO instead of warning them to fish selectively, welcomed them with open arms to partake in the study. No wonder the salmon stocks are in the state they are with the type of fishery management we are getting. :pissed:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Dfisher said:
What a joke of a study. Read on another fishing site that some nim rods, were on Grassy bottom bouncing for Springs. And DFO instead of warning them to fish selectively, welcomed them with open arms to partake in the study. No wonder the salmon stocks are in the state they are with the type of fishery management we are getting. :pissed:
It is a study, which is good to do before making any big decision. I do not know so much about fishing to judge the methodological aspects of the study, but it seems reasoable to me to do it.

Giuseppe

·
Registered
167 Posts
The reason why some folks are against bottom bouncing/flossing on the Fraser is that you are basically snagging the fish. Fishing with a long 8 to 10 foot or longer leader will floss a fish as it swims by. And as far as being selective with this type of setup, there is no selectivity. When fish are swimming through a run, you stand just a good a chance to floss or snag a chinook as you do a sockeye. Therefore, when runs are low as DFO keeps on saying selective fishing methods such as bar fishing will allow one to zone in on agressive fish like chinook salmon for instance.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Only message this is sending so far is that sockeye don't die even after being foul hooked :wallbash: I guess that is a good thing in some ways but bad in others. PS. where is the maxillary bone ?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Every day, please read the article and look at the percentage numbers of where the fish are hooked, clearly 73% are snagged outside the mouth. To myself personally this is the message being sent since I believe in catching fish that commit to bite my offering. Yes it is also good to see the c&r mortality rate is low. BTW here is a pic of the maxillary http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/Fisheries/Alagnak/images/bigfish-August200122_arrow.jpg

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think you guys are missing the point here.
We need a sockeye mortality study done from a non biased organisation as a tool. Last year the sportfishing community was forced off the fraser due to 1.) high mortality on sockeye salmon
2.)political pressure by F.N on fisheries
3.)Low returns on all runs of sockeye specifically early stuart.
These three factors were the main reason we were not able fish, Not to mention just C&R
The first 2 points are directly related to one another as we were held responsible as one of the main contributing factors of the high mortality on sockeye witnessed early in the season(July) despite the fact that DFO urged the sportfishing community to use selective fishing methods. Although there was still the BB crew out it was a mere fraction of what was usual from seasons previous.

This study is very important for the sportfishing community because it gives real numbers to our advocates from the various lobbying groups such as SFI (sportfishing institute)or SDA(salmon defence alliance).

Taking a closer look at the numbers indicated by the study ,it would show that there is a mortality rate so far of 1.6%. This rate is also not completely accurate because of the two sockeye that perished, only one was obviously killed by the wounds it recieved. The second fish had no visibly condemning signs other than what may or may not have happened in nature!

Please do not mis understand my comments ,I do not agree with bottom snagging and would be very happy to see it go away for good. But I can not stand by idly watching a resource that is managed in such a fashion dwindle and perish and then take the blame for it!!

I will add some more to this in a moment!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Point taken swiftwater ;) As you can see by my avatar you know my feelings on this method of fishing called flossing. The Fraser Salmon & Watershed Program in conjunction with DFO and I believe FN are doing this study so I don't know about non-biased. With this study showing a low mortality rate would it not upset First Nations as they thought sport anglers killed a lot of sockeye? It would not bother me in the least to see sockeye permanently closed to anglers again in the Fraser. As far as low returns, too many problems - over fishing, ocean mortality, Fraser water temps and the list goes on. Suggestions to implement after this study is completed and it is found that a sockeye fishery could be maintained, leader restriction when sockeye are not open, annual limit of 10 sockeye recorded on your license (2 per day and once you have your two you're finished for that day), any flossed chinook must be released during sockeye openings. So many problems and variables in this fishery that I don't see any easy solutions, make one group happy and PO the others :beerchug:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ok here is part two of the same !
After doing a few moments of research ,last years closure was implemented by dfo based on the probability factor that during the last 10 days of august the sportfishing community on the fraser would encounter 44,000 sockeye!
These #s were forcasted by creel surveys taken at various bars along the fraser specifically- Scale, pegleg, island 22 launch creel survey and herling island.

This would mean that during the last 10 days fisherman would hook 4400 sockeye each day!
DFO used a 10% mortality rate to calculate the losses during this time frame which would mean that there would have been 4400 dead sockeye by sportfisherman!

Here is what I mean by this being important !
based on the percentages that they are recieving currently from the mortality study it would suggest that we may have had a mortality of 704 sockeye.

Although even this is a large number,it is still small in comparison to what was harvested by FN during the 4 days that they were able to fish the fraser while we were closed!!

Finally we are able to give some accurate figures to the whole thing and perhaps we will be able to defend our opportunities as sportfisherman. We may always have to work with cooked books so to say but at least we will be able to forward some actual numbers when the time comes to cooking the books!

OK Im done now!

Thanks for the opportunity to rant a bit!!
cheers Oliver

243 Posts
Actually, the reason that was oficially cited for the river being closed to salmon angling last year was that too many people were not "fishing selectivly" for chinook. The great irony in all of this is now we are using that very same non selective technique to prove (or disprove as the case may be) mortality numbers for sockeye that could (will?) influence our future openings on the river.

As I said on another site, this should be split up into two separate studies. One using a high number of fish to assess sport mortality, both short term and long term. Flossing would be the way to get the greatest amount of fish and hence the most acurate mortality estimates. The second part would be to use pretty much anything except flossing to see the by catch of sockeye while targeting all other species of salmon.

Mortality from study one X by catch from study two = sport fishing mortality on sockeye when targeting salmon by not flossing. Compare against, number of sockeye caught from study one / the number of chinook caught in study one = sockeye bycatch (and hence mortality rate) when flossing is used as a general method of angling.

But unfortunatly this is not happening.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Fisherforever

I totally understand the sentiment towards flossing and the whole ethical melting pot of this fishery.
This will also PO the FN as they will now need to find something else to blame all the floaters on!

You also make a lot of great suggestions in the way things could be managed and there is no easy solution to this one.
Thing is, it is still worth fighting for regardless of whether you believe in this fishery or not. What happens right now will only set political and judicial precedents and we must fight at least for the right to continue fishing whether for sockeye or for chinook or for any of the other great fraser salmon fisheries! because your stamp and every one else who purchases one goes to paying a small portion of the enhancement of these runs and at the begining of each season when DFO consults their magic salmon oracle, the sportfisherman of B.C are actually allocated a small portion of the Total allowable Catch(TAC), Yet we are the first ones to lose our TAC when the magic comes crashing down.

:confused:
Oliver

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Then you have Prince Frank and his merry band of snaggers gleefully flossing away on Grassy every day, licking their lips as they think they have legitimized the Fraser snaggery.
I only hope those opposed to this fishery will band together and make a serious effort to organize and finally put a halt to this degradation of sport fishing.
I for one have had enough and will be working hard to help organize those opposed to this fishery(if you can call it one).
Attending meetings and getting involved in the SFAB is the only way things will change, because those in favor of the flossery pollute those meetings and act as if they represent ALL anglers which clearly is not the case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.