BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy and I will be doing a little tour at the end of next week between Merritt and Williams Lake area, we'll be hitting both lakes and rivers. I am typically a river fly fisherman, and haven't spent much time lake fishing. My 6 wt only has a floating line, do I need to pick up a 2nd spool and a full sink or sink tip line? Also anyone know how the lakes up that way fish in late August? A few we are planning to go to are Sheridan, Forest, Big Bar, Dugan and more! As a lake rookie any advice on gear, fly selection etc.. would be awesome.. Thanks

Gibbs

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Hi Gibbs,

You will definitely need to pick up a full sinking line as the lakes in the Interior will still be warm when you go. During the day fish will be on the bottom and you will need to search for them with nymphs and leech patterns. Your floating line will be good for first and last light when there is surface activity. Can you purchase a cartridge/spool for your reel? You might need to order it otherwise you might have to buy a whole new reel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
The very best option is to get a new 5 or 6 wt to go with the new reel you get for the type 6 full sink. (be smart, and buy a dragonfly reel with an extra spool for the clear intermediate you might as well get anyway!):thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
The very best option is to get a new 5 or 6 wt to go with the new reel you get for the type 6 full sink. (be smart, and buy a dragonfly reel with an extra spool for the clear intermediate you might as well get anyway!):thumbup::thumbup:
I agree that a full sink is necessary this time of year, but a floating line with a long leader can be used with a strike indicator. I was up at Roche in July and used a 20 foot leader to get my halfback down 18 feet to where the fish were sitting on the bottom.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I was able to borrow an extra rod and reel, I just need to buy a full sink line to put on it. I will keep my rod with floating line and the 2nd rod with sinking line on my boat so I'm ready for anything! - Prof, your idea sounds great to me, but the wife on the other hand, not so much!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks guys, I was able to borrow an extra rod and reel, I just need to buy a full sink line to put on it. I will keep my rod with floating line and the 2nd rod with sinking line on my boat so I'm ready for anything! - Prof, your idea sounds great to me, but the wife on the other hand, not so much!!
That is why you have to get the wife involved in fly fishing. then you will "have to" buy 3 more rods and reels. ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Farmer- I hear ya man! I'll keep trying! So we are leaving tomorrow morning for a week or so, I'll report when I get back.. Cheers

Gibbs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts