BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried "Stinging" for salmon around the Alberni Inlet or between Bamfield and Ukee? I heard about it from my Father-in-Law. One of his old buddies told him about it, and I wondered if anyone has tried it recently with any success.

Stinging, from what I understand is either much like jigging or just another name for jigging, where you put on just a Buzz Bomb, drop it into the school of fish at whatever depth, and, I guess, from what he described, jig with it.

Anyone know about this?

Thanks for helping a noob.

Chris

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
When the sockeye school up in the Inlet, employing the smallest pink/red stings can be DEADLY on them.
Same is true for the returning springs in a few spots in the Inlet. Single Barbless to prevent unintentional snagging.

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
So could you sting with a hoochie, or spoon as well as a buzz bomb?

Chris
Hey Chris,

You are likely just going to want to use a StingZelda or BuzzBomb type lure as you'll need the weight to get it down. A spoon (unless really heavy) are going to be tough to get down at the fish.

Others may want to chime in if they have some sort of an idea but I would think your limited to the lures with a bit more weight to them. Spoons and hoochies are "generally" geared towards trolling.

One thing you can look at if you don't have downriggers but want to be able to troll is a "diver" of kinds....this will allow you to troll with a flasher and a spoon/hoochie/anchovie and be able to get the lure down. I am having a complete mind-fart trying to remember the name of the brand that I have seen used out here on the west coast but there are a few different models out there.

Only thing you want to make sure of when fishing one of these is that you're not a tight crowd of boats as you'll need to have your lines out a fair ways behind the boat to get them to dive and pull your presentation down deeper. If you're in a tight group with guys running down riggers you may have a few cannonballs flying at you. ;) :p :eek:

There is also a technique known as mooching or power mooching with a lure (herring) and banana weight which you could look to do as well, but for the specific area you are looking at you may want to let Nog chime in as that is his "home turf".. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing you can look at if you don't have downriggers but want to be able to troll is a "diver" of kinds....
Thanks Pippen, yeah, right now we have one downrigger, and I've seen the divers at the store before. Makes total sense about the weight. I've seen some pretty big buzz bombs, so that may be the best way.

Speaking of crowds of boats, I guess I'll want to be careful about just hanging out in one spot and stinging/jigging if there are a lot of boats out there trolling.

Chris

·
Registered
206 Posts
A hoochie would need a flasher to get the right action and spoons are light and need action from being trolled , buzz bomb or zinger would most likely be best as Pippen said. I believe a deep six is the name Pippen was looking for , these allow you to troll for fish in the upper water. I have buzz bombed for pinks before and that can be pretty fun.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Lots of diver type devices being made these days........I think a couple of other popular ones are the "Dipsy Diver" and "The Pink Lady" I know guys that use them on deep lakes for Lake Trout and have good success.........Cheers!

·
Registered
18 Posts
We used to sting quite often out at bamfield when the springs were holed up in an area. We had success in Yankee bay and aslo at swale rock. If the fish are moving it is much harder. If you go out on the Canadian Princess boats from Ukee they only sting for both the Salmon and halibut. There is a method to it that can make it more productive as you really want to do a couple quick jigs then reel in some line and repeat the process until the stingzilda is back to the surface. Obviously a fish finder will be of great importance as it will identify if fish are there and the depth you need to drop the lure down to. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Was several years since I was out there but we used to use buzz bombs or more often Zingers (fish shaped Buzz bomb) mainly for Coho but used to get some springs as well off the kelp beds near the rocks (like Wilf rocks and others ) out in Tofino. Also would cast them if we saw coho jumping in some of the bays on the inside. If you can find bait concentrations, and salmon following it, dropping a buzz bomb or Zinger can be effective. Im sure it would work off the islands in Barkley Sound as well. If fish are spread out it doesnt work well. I used a smaller and a bit stiffer rod (8ft) than mooching rods and a level wind reel. Makes the jigging easier on your arms. It gets tiring.

·
Registered
513 Posts
We have done a lot of jigging for salmon,Springs & Coho.
I recommend 2 1/2 oz and 4 oz zingers in green and pearl with the red cheeks.
I use a steel head rod with a level wind reel but have also used my moochers.
We zing for Coho a lot and get a surprising number of springs as well.
Fish straight down with the boat stopped.
Lift the rod tip up only about 3 feet and not too fast.
Near shore I fish right on the edge of a kelp bed.
Offshore use a heavier jig and start at the bottom working your way up.

Drop the tip quickly and let the jig flutter down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts