BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I apologize for the "jumping right in" being a new member the forum, But I feel the following requires the immediate attention of ALL members.

BC politicians have engaged in astounding efforts to covertly slide through a piece of legislation which would unquestionably disadvantage not only every member of the hunting, fishing, prospecting & recreationalist communities, But potentially all residents of BC and many visitors to our fair province. The political agenda with this Bill is to deregulate, reclassify and privatize all of BC’s back-roads, removing public ownership and the right to free use. All this was about to be accomplished without consulting affected industries and without seeking the approval of a majority of the population.

Bill 30 deals with the privatization of publicly owned roads (roadways which for the most part were built and paid for by every taxpayer of this province). This Bill intends to create a whole new and unaccountable level of bureaucracy called the ‘Resource Road Authority’ that will have the power to determine who should manage roads, who will be allowed to use roads, when roads need to be completely closed to all access, and what the user fees will be. All of this with no right of appeal to either government or through the courts.

The long-term effects of Bill 30 will be devastating to any area of the province whose economy is dependant in any way on the development of outlying resources and backcountry recreation.

If Bill 30 becomes law, the new Road Authority will have the right, if they can find no industrial user to foot the bill for upkeep and maintenance costs, to shut roads down with total deactivation that will essentially make the areas impassable for all types of vehicle access. This will include removal of culverts and bridges, cross-trenching roadways, and erecting gates on any roadway they choose, blocking free passage and closing vast areas of the province.

Talk to everyone you know who uses the back-country for any kind of industry or recreation. Talk to your local town council, regional district and chamber of commerce. Talk to anyone who stands to lose revenue over the loss of these rights. Petition your friends, co-workers, neighbors and relatives. Muster their voices. If Bill 30 is permitted to pass its third reading, every single individual within this province, or visiting it, stands to lose.

Please take the time, sign the petition Stop privatization of our back-country roads

Kind Regards,
Dave

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
DAve, I don't profess to know anything about the proposed bill, but maybe this is exactly what is needed in BC to "protect" our wilderness areas from all the damage being done by careless campers,weekends, and other users of these roads. I would like to see a permit system in place so responsible groups could use the old logging roads and have access but block these same roads from the devistation and ridiculous behavior that we all witness when having to share these same areas with the weekend warriors.
A user fee for areas in demand would go a long way to have "wardens" keep a close eye on the users to be sure they are not spoiling the weekends for others, polluting the rivers and streams by dumping stolen cars,and generally causing all the mayhem that I have personally witnessed over the years.
Areas like Harrison Lake for example are overrun in the summer, and with limited services in the area, it looks like a huge garbage dump after Labour Day. Decisions NOT to re-open roads like the one to theIndian River at the north end of BUrrard Inlet was a good one in my estimation....It is a very narrow, dangerous road, and public safety, should remain closed.
The many roads that access the interior lakes often go thru private property and many complaints have been recieved from the locals in these areas and rightly so.....Many forest fires are started by careless campers, and no one is ever caught or questioned on these matters...Maybe we should look at the entire Bill and see if they are addressing this problem......If they want to arbitrarily run a bill thru without debate, there has to be some substance to it and a reason somewhere along the way........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
318 Posts
i for one,dont need the government telling me where i can go in the back country.crown land belongs to the people of this province,not private companies or special intrest "groups".and i for one would never pay for a permit to go in there.if the sheep out there want to pay the gov. to use whats rightfully theirs,count me out. im responsable enough that i dont need big brother to hold my hand when im in the back country.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
It is a tough one. I agree with you darycote, but at the same time I get really pissed when I am out in some backcountry locale and find busted beer bottles, burned out cars, and have to co-exist with some dickweed with an ATV and the brains of asparagus, just because it is his right as a taxpayer to be out there with me. When I pull into a forestry site and find a fire pit still with logs in flame and no one at the site, when I find garbage strewn around an area that is an hour from the nearest pavement, then I wish all people were as responsible as you are darycote, but my desire to have assistance from the government (that I pay taxes to as well) in controlling these embarrassments to humanity certainly doesn't make me one of the sheep.

·
Registered
318 Posts
dont get me wrong,i dont like junk in forest service sites either.i pick up garbage left over from other campers and i dont leave any behind.(i usually even leave a full roll in the crapper) i just dont like when my gov. thinks it knows whats best for me without asking me. g.s.t, toll roads,user fees for provincial parks.i could go on and on.when does it stop? they would be damming the upper pit right now if it didnt go public. and we all know whos going to be the first in line to block the roads.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We all want to enjoy the backcountry without having to ask permission from some authority. Hunting was illegal in the King's forest in England until the Magna Carta and subsequent documents were implemented to give us our basic rights. Because a minority group is ruining the backcountry for the rest of us; should we start paying taxes to the monarchs again so that we may rightfully hunt, fish, or just camp? Most of us are very conscientious about maintaining the land while some have to be educated. We already have many laws and regulations governing all facets of land which must be enforced to change things. Governments have a unique ability of not addressing the important issues for the future; but make quick legislative decisions for stop-gap-measures.

Change has always been slow because words and wisdom takes time to reach people. Closing gates and making public roads impassable doesn't change anyone; it just frustrates everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.