BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience or thoughts on storing plastic scented baits (worms, grubs, eggs etc)? I would like to move them from their original bag to a tackle storgae box. I have salted worms, grubs, and Exude worms and roe imitations.

If the scents are impregnated then one would think it would not matter if they are out of their zip locks. I noticed tackle shop sell the non scented (from what I saw) plastics in bulk stored in similar containers. So this would lead me to believe the plastics do not dry out or become 'unusable' if exposed to air.

Looking for a little reassurance....

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
In my experience plastics biggest problem is they can cause meltdown when put together in one container, example certain eggs imitations and worm imatations can meld together when stored together.

I keep my worms and grubs in small ziplocs, not mixing them together, however they are not scented ones either.

Also have witnessed color problems when I put different colored grubs in the same bag, so be careful.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Bent Rod said:
In my experience plastics biggest problem is they can cause meltdown when put together in one container, example certain eggs imitations and worm imatations can meld together when stored together.

I keep my worms and grubs in small ziplocs, not mixing them together, however they are not scented ones either.

Also have witnessed color problems when I put different colored grubs in the same bag, so be careful.
I have also noticed in the past.If you pretie you worms like I do. Over a short time the mono you thread through them tends to geat weaker also... I tie about 10 on a foam leader board and fish through those before I thread new ones again... :cheers: sage

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I grew up on the Trent River system in Ontario and fished plastics of all types since I was about 13, so I have some experience with them.

If you can keep them in their bags, that's the best way to store them. If the bags are too big, then you can definitely use zip-loc bags as an alternative. The scents will keep, but as someone else suggested, store different colors (and scents) in separate bags.

If you need to move them to trays (or boxes), ensure that the storage method you choose is "wormproof". Most of the Plano and Flambeau boxes are now wormproof so you should be safe from the plastic baits "melting" through the boxes. My very first tackle box was a Flambeau and I've had it for over 20 years....and I have plastics in it from that far back as well.
Here's my next box:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5075002

The next best option I can suggest are worm binders.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_37107_100011010_100000000_100011000__?hvarTarget=browse&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=11&CMID=&hvarDept=100&pageView=image&hvarTextId=37107&hvarSubCode=10&jumpToPage=1&currentPage=0
I believe Canadian Tire sells something very similar, but a quick search of their website didn't turn anything up. I'm pretty sure I've seen them in the store though. I can tell you from experience they work great!

Best of luck.

Cheers,
Sean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.