BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an idea for a fly (which I'm sure isn't original) and I need a suggestion on which product to use.

I'm going to wrap a chronie hook from the eye to the bend in a thick wrap of a solid color of thread (3/0 uni-thread in yellow, green or red are my 3 preferences), once that's done, I want to tie in some clear stretch flex type material and then wrap that around the colored thread (so it looks like the abdomen is see through).

My question is, which product would be best? Have any of you tied a similar fly, if so what did you use? Do you have any pictures of what it looks like?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not quite.

I want to be able to see the "guts" of the fly through the abdomen material. I'm just wondering which material to use since there seems to be a ton of options.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The best "guts" i guess would just be the colour and attributes of the under lying material. I've tried the materials that you mentioned in the other posts and have had mixed results. Some have like little hairs sticking out of the segments of the abdomen etc.
With liquid lace it has a hole down the center that you can put, I do it with an Insulin syringe, mineral oil or some thing to give it an irredescent sheen.
I guess the best bet is just to try everything mentioned and see what you think is best. If you buy something that's not good for this fly it will always come in handy for another.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very similar to that but without the dubbing.

Just the hook shank covered in a couple of layers of 3/0 thread and then wrapped in clear thin skin.

BTW, nice fly :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.