BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how you pro's out there put on your bobbers... I mean strike indicators on, mine always seems to slide out of the spot where I want it which likely means I am doing it wrong!!! any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Assuming you are using the corkies with a toothpick variety, place the toothpick in at the bottom of the strike indicator. Less chance tangling your line on the indicator, but more importantly, when the force of the cast hits the indicator, it forces the corkie down ont the toothpick and actually tightens it. With the toothpick in the top, every cast pulls the corky away from the toothpick, thus loosening it.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i use the corkies with the black insert, i think they where developed by Chan or Honey. you basically use like i regular corkie without the toothpick and use the provided black insert, make a small loop above the corkie and then insert black insert not too snug. these corkies are made to release the corkie when you hook up on a fish. do not insert to much or the insert will not let go and you will have to release it manuellly like the toothpick stlye.

·
Registered
917 Posts
stsfisher said:
i use the corkies with the black insert, i think they where developed by Chan or Honey. you basically use like i regular corkie without the toothpick and use the provided black insert, make a small loop above the corkie and then insert black insert not too snug. these corkies are made to release the corkie when you hook up on a fish. do not insert to much or the insert will not let go and you will have to release it manuellly like the toothpick stlye.
Are you referring to the "quick release" indicators? I think those were originally designed by Phil Rowley...but I could be wrong. Good idea, but I find that these are not very sensitive indicators. I use the Thill indicator which makes use of a peg. Advantage - very sensitive. Disadvantage - not so fun trying to pull out the peg with a fish on! :happy: Great for shallow water presentations. Interesting for deep (12-20 foot) presentations.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
yes FFM these are the ones, you could be right about Rowley. not sure about the sensitivity compared to other makes as i tend to only use these because of the advantage of not having to unclip anything while fishing long leaders. another advantage i found with these indicators is that they tend to show better in choppy water. i think when choosing the right indicator one big factor would be what kind of vessel are you fishing out of, it would be alot easier to release a corkey by hand when standing in a boat compared to fishing out of pontoon or belly boat.i feel the quick releases also do i nice job of ensuring that the fish are played and released(if that is your intention) in a reasonable amount of time because there is no fumbling around when on a long leader trying to reach your corkey toothpick or peg.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There's some new ones out there that i like that have a longer, skinny, light piece of plastic to hold the corkie in place, instead of a tooth pick. they stay in tact, but are easier to pull out if need be. And they're still plenty sensitive. Whatever type you use, be sure to have a few different sizes. When the wind howls, it's good to have the odd beach ball sized one around, or you'll be setting the hook on every wave. The thing I don't like about the quick release indicators is that you wear out your leader to fast from crimps and kinks when adjusting the height. Drives me crazy.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I use Thills almost exclusively even at 12-15 feet. I find them very sensitive and come in three sizes for various conditions (or eyesight).

Gordon Honey uses them exclusively...and if you hadn't noticed...if Gord does it, I do it. It is a lot easier to pull the tooth pick when a guide does it for you! That being said if there are two of you in a boat that can work to.

Depending on the setup I will use the quick release. If I head out knowing I will be starting with a 20 foot plus leader then I put it on. I often use a straight 8lb Vanish attached with loops to a short butt section attached to the line. Vanish is pretty supple and low memory so the crimping of the leader isn't as bad as mono. I found mono to be pretty tough to use near the butt of a tapered leader often kinking to the point it could not be straightened.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
I like the quick release ones for the interior but use the Thill brand ones for around here because yes they are sensitive (rain drops will dunk them) and the quick release ones were designed by Phil Rowley, i just bought a 4pack of them today $7.99 Ouch! but whatever they are great for the bigger fish and choppy water. I found that the round ones are better than the oval shaped ones though (quick release)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Avoid the Dragonfly oval quick release indicators. They are mode of cellular foam which breaks apart quite easily (and soon after purchase :mad: ). The opening for the peg cracks with little pressure.

I use the twist on indicators on the Skagit as it makes for a quick switch from drys to nymphing. I will admit you end up with leader issues (trimming to nymphing length..adding tippet for dries) some days going back and forth in this manner however it has been effective for me.

Prof could probably speak better to the transitioning techniques on small streams.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
ok i can definately see the advantage of ones like that for stream fishing HOWEVER you have to change flies from dry to wet dont you?? when you do this take off the indicator LOL :beerchug:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I have tried the quick release ones, but am not a very big fan. the wedge must be placed very carefully; too loose and the indicator pops off on the first cast, too tight and the fish has to be 4 lbs or better to release it at all (I know there are members here who never catch a trout under 4 lbs, but I'm not one of them). As for rivers, I have tried many different types and for the most part, I really prefer indicator putty. It is easy to apply (a bit harder to get off cleanly) and if does come off your line it is biodegradable. I don't have any issues with leaders when changing from dry to nymph, or back, as the indicator works to control my nymphing leader length.

HOOK said:
ok i can definately see the advantage of ones like that for stream fishing HOWEVER you have to change flies from dry to wet dont you?? when you do this take off the indicator LOL :beerchug:
No Hook, you don't have to change from wet to dry. I can (and have) spent an entire day on a river only nymphing, but should I change to dry, the twist off or the putty style indicators are very quick and easy to remove. That is the whole point of them. Remove the indicator when changing to dry?? Thanks for the tip.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
:happy: :happy: such a smart ass :beerchug: i know i stated the obvious. but does anyone Nymph without indicators? can you fish an indicator with a dry incase your not watching well enough or the fly is very small and hard to see?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Not being overly proficient in the use of nymphs or indicators with nymphs, I can only tell you that after 2 hrs, without a fish on the Thompson last year, I switched to a small nymph without an indicator on the advice of one of my mentors, and guess what?.......2-3 lbs. of angry trout on the 2nd or 3rd. cast!!. ;D.......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Not really. An egg pattern is fished just like a nymph. Fishing nymphs (eggs) without an indicator is a very popular way to angle. I first learned to nymph without and indicator and only started to use one when I felt the need to adjust depths often when working a stretch of water. Fishing a dry with an indicator is nogt very effective, not only because of the splash of the corkie, etc. but when trying to have a drag free drift over a lie, the indicator often imarts unnatural action to your dry fly and will keep you from hooking up with otherwise agreeable trout.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I fish my egg patterns without an indicator. This past fall I was fishing them on the veddar for the jack springs. What a blast :thumbup:. Also fished them on the Allouette this past winter :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.