BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great to see Stump fishing well. The water levels have increased substantially over the past 5 years and the survival rate of the Blackwaters is good. Beautiful healthy bows that can easily kick your butt if you are fishing light gear. This one today took me 150 yards into the backing and fought like a river fish.8) Large imitation of a sculpin (bullhead) in medium brown is the ticket or like yesterday a green size 12 half back when the mayflies are hatching. ZOOOM! 3x if you are out over 18 to 20 feet of water where the bigger fish are cruising or, if you really like tying bugs at night, donate them to the fish by using 4x LOLx2:cheers:
IMG_0005[1].jpg

·
Registered
513 Posts
Good to see Stump wasn't affected by the winter kill.
That is practically in my back yard.
May go into Peterhope this weekend.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Was your drag set on -10? Maybe I've just never hooked into a fish that hot. Ha jk nice fish thanks for the report!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was your drag set on -10? Maybe I've just never hooked into a fish that hot. Ha jk nice fish thanks for the report!
It was a hot 24 inch Blackwater, the surface water temp was 62 so the down deep there is still plenty of O2 AND NO ALGEA BLOOM! So the fish are prime. If you set your drag too tight they will just spit the hook, we fish barbless. There are guys on the pond using coffee grinders with trebles, flat fish and 25 lb line! Naturally if we were shopping at Safeway for the fish then a barbarian method would be in order. I use an old school palm drag Marquise and play the fish according to how hot it is. This fish actually gave me a little cut when I fingered the dacron backing. The pal on my reel screamed like it was a bone fish! Happy to report that after holding the fish upright in the net after only 20 to thirty seconds it swam away without a mark except for a sore lip and perhaps a little more caution for anything with a hook in it. You know maybe next time it will be a little more selective..;-}

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to see Stump wasn't affected by the winter kill.
That is practically in my back yard.
May go into Peterhope this weekend.
I will be on the deep pond by the outlet on Heffley or on the spooner up past Knouff. Don't want to drive too far out 5 north and go up the big hill instead I will go the rough road past Knouff as they most likely will be hauling logs down the other way tomorrow. Still looking for a good mayfly hatch and this wind and rain with warm weather should do the trick. Could do Paul out past the park and almost for sure get them on the halfback, but Paul is far too easy!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It was a hot 24 inch Blackwater, the surface water temp was 62 so the down deep there is still plenty of O2 AND NO ALGEA BLOOM! So the fish are prime. If you set your drag too tight they will just spit the hook, we fish barbless. There are guys on the pond using coffee grinders with trebles, flat fish and 25 lb line! Naturally if we were shopping at Safeway for the fish then a barbarian method would be in order. I use an old school palm drag Marquise and play the fish according to how hot it is. This fish actually gave me a little cut when I fingered the dacron backing. The pal on my reel screamed like it was a bone fish! Happy to report that after holding the fish upright in the net after only 20 to thirty seconds it swam away without a mark except for a sore lip and perhaps a little more caution for anything with a hook in it. You know maybe next time it will be a little more selective..;-}
just Teasin ya. It's a nice fish for sure. Sure love them once they break that 22" mark!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Nice story.
You do realize that 150 yards is 450 feet - the equivalent of 5 fly lines in length. You sure it wasn't a wayward Chinook?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've always driven buy Stump Lake and wondered how the fishing is. Such a BIG lake , I wouldn't know where to start.
I've heard there are Brookies in there, is that true ?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've always driven buy Stump Lake and wondered how the fishing is. Such a BIG lake , I wouldn't know where to start.
I've heard there are Brookies in there, is that true ?
No Brookies, it is stocked with Kokanee as well as lots of Bows. There are native coarse fish but no Pike Minnows. Like all big lakes you either troll or watch for where the Terns and Swallows feed during hatches if you fly fish. Hatches can happen at different places either all at once or not at all. The shallows in the south west tend to come on later than the small sunken island in the north end. There are extensive stretches of 20 to 25 foot water that run all the way across the lake.

Best bet is where there are contour lines dropping from 8 to 20 feet. The big bows have a habit of following the sculpins into the shallows in the early evening so you can troll close to shore or cast a big muddler towards the reeds in some of the bays especially where there is a point of land with a defined contour.

Some years like this one a small olive damsel fly nymph works well just after ice off in the shallows in the south end as the insects are moving and feeding in the shallows and some of the largest fish key in on them.

Reactions: normfish

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nice story.
You do realize that 150 yards is 450 feet - the equivalent of 5 fly lines in length. You sure it wasn't a wayward Chinook?
You got me I was using a type 3 almost all the way out and the fish took off in the opposite direction as soon as I felt the strike. The first run was easily = + or - 300 feet or 90 meters depending on how you hear the reel scream. If I had horsed the fish I am sure it would have just spit the hook but it was really hot for a lake fish ;-}

1 - 10 of 10 Posts