BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday Oct. 10, 2010.
While sturgeon fishing we observed these absolute doughheads abusing a sturgeon.
It wasn't particularly large but they dropped their anchor buoy and drifted more than 500m down to where we were anchored. They brought the fish to the boat about 100m above us and proceeded to tail noose the fish, pulling the tail well out of the water. They then left the fish strung there for at least 10 minutes before towing it backwards to shore.
It was tougher to see and I didn't get a good picture, but once they reached shore they pulled the fish well up onto the beach to take pictures.
Approximately 45 minutes after landing it they released the fish.

The offenders are quite distinctive with teal fabric roof, rear metalwork, and shiny bald head. If you know these jackarses please give them a slap upside the head.

tail_rope3.jpg tail_rope2.jpg tail_rope1.jpg

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/ethics/docs/releasingwhitesturgeongently.pdf
"Ropes, tailers, nooses or any other device are not to be used on any part of any
fish to hold or land the fish."

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, they were too far away. I couldn't convince our guide to drop anchor and chase them down.
These pictures are the best view of the offenders.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good on you for reporting him but apparently from what I have been told there has been no laws broken here only recommendations have been violated.??? Maybe we will get lucky and this will change if they see this kind of abuse being reported more often.The only thing that can bring about a charge, is if theirs proof of malicious harassment. Makes no sense to me but that is our finest at work. The only thing he did right now was just being uneducated as this method of handling sturgeon can cause serious damage to the sturgeons vertebrae, also hanging a sturgeon by the tail without supporting the body weight under the pectoral fins can cause the same damage. To get an idea of what I mean is the next time you pickup a floater by the tail you will feel the vertebrae popping as you feel the weight of the stinker. Guys like this will only get the sturgeon fishery closed if people are not educated on how to properly handle sturgeon.
FOCB :cheers:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
When I talked to the fisheries officer they stated that using a tail rope to restrain the fish while taking pictures or tagging would not be something they would enforce ........ towing a Sturgeon backwards was something totally different though as it would cause willful damage (to the vertebrae) ...... therefore they definately would be charged.

She compared it to someone picking a small sturgeon up by the mouth bringing it into the boat .AND. someone trying to see how much of their hand they can shove into its mouth. The first is not likely to cause damage ......... the second probably / possibly would.

A lot of the difference relates back to the intent of the action.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Jogden how many fishers follow #1 on the list. how many charges have been laid for using spring gear.

1. Angling tackle should be heavy enough to handle these potentially large fish.
Use heavy rods and reels, and at least 100 lb. manufacture rated test line. Play and release fish as rapidly as possible.
A fish played for too long may not recover.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/ethics/docs/releasingwhitesturgeongently.pdf

FOCB, In the pdf link at the bottom of first paragraph it states:

to me that means its the law and not just recommendations, i guess i could be wrong though.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I was out fishing Sturgeon last year and was checked by DFO for licenses ect. He advised me that regardless of the size Sturgeon they are not to be removed from the water unless you have a proper cradle/sling. Towing the fish into shore by the tail is also not acceptable. Fighting the fish to shore is fine. I asked him if I catch a two foot Sturgeon would it be ok to pick it up for a quick picture? He again advised the fish cannot be removed from the water and that you can be charged with fish molestation...It seems to be kind of a gray area as it’s not clearly defined in the regs. I always thought removing a smallish fish for a quick pick would be ok but according to DFO it is not.:2cents:

-RC

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Probably because of the way people handle the fish RC... many many times we have seen people pick the sturgeon up - out of the water - holding the TAIL and NOT CRADLING THE BODY..... When we pick the fish up - to bring it in the boat to scan and tag... we grab one hand on the tail and the other hand is UNDER the fish's tummy/head area..... When you are picking ANY fish up by the tail alone, you can pop their vertebraes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts