BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for bait options for sturgeon. I have used eulachon's, worms, roe and have success only with eulachon's. I have heard of lamprey eels and ditch eels been a favorite bait option.
Where can I get ditch eels?
Lamprey eel's are incredibly expensive to buy, are they worth the money?

What other bait options are there?

Cheers, and thanks for the help.
Glenn

G

·
My dad used to use squid tentacles when he ran out of eels for bait . They sell them at t&t supermarket in the frozen fish section .

·
Registered
587 Posts
nothing like a good chunk of the north american furry salmon....can be found on most shorelines and eddies from late septemer on. Their favorite place of habitation would be in between the logs of a boom. Just remember when stalking this magnificent creature not to spook it, be careful on the logs, wear gloves and a clothes pin on the nose, breath through your mouth and ignore your buddies in the boat doing the fake ''uummoppphhh" to get the gag reflex going...good luck and happy hunting :happy:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I find that north american furry salmon work best when I "catch" one on the way home and then let'er stew in the bucket until the next weekend when I go out again! :happy:YUMMY, don't forget a box of surgical gloves and a barf bag!

·
Registered
200 Posts
You guys forgot to mention eye protection that stuff stings when you get it in the eyes.

you have also forgotten about black roe!!

This favoured sturgeon delicacy is found within the body cavity of the north american furry salmon. It is very precious and is only found withinn a few specimens ,the risks to harvest this black gold are very real and many havent got the stomach for this type of adventure ,those that are willing to got the extra inch and a half can be rewarded with some gag-aliscious gold.

:p

as with all fishing goin the extra mile er inch and a half will get you more fish
cheers
swiftwater

·
Registered
200 Posts
So Jim
your one of the bind your guts to the hook, kind of guys eh?
so that at the end of the day all your left with is a big ball of skien on the hook?

The squaw fish er northern pike minnows are lovin you :happy:
cheers
OR

·
Registered
911 Posts
Use the wifes old nylons and make lrg roe bags out of them, she'll forget about them soon enough.
Nothing like the first wiff when opening a furry salmon on a crisp fall morning :-X :-X.
Ever try the livers, tried them last year but found had to fish away from the faster water as they tore off the hook, minimal success, smaller fish.
Crazy D

·
Registered
694 Posts
I still remeber going out on a guided trip for a company outing and the guide told us he wanted us to get the full experience of fishing and I guess assuming I had no experience with it told me to get a pair of gloves on and grab some overly furry salmon when we past by. It got better when he said he was going to get us to slice it up for him ::)

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have never gone as far as to use the roe but I just use the bellies and gills....the skin is like leather and once the hook is through that chunk is not comming off!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, thanks for that advice, I really appreciate it. This mesh you spoke of... Any particular color that's better than others ? I wonder when this weather is going to start improving. I can't believe its been so wet this year.

·
Registered
745 Posts
We havwe used different colors and for us, they all work the same!!!

My old teaching on dino fishing is anything will catch a fish once, twice or a few times..... look to what is in the river as a food source when you are fishing and that will constantly catch you fish!!! (Most times!!)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.