BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
dra21 said:
Is there anyplace I can get some fresh roe, ditch eels and eulachons?
No ditch eels, but you should be able to find some frozen roe and posibly some eulachons from the columbia at most of the shops here in the Valley, give them a call! :cheers:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Try pike minnows, work as well as eulies, and they're free just remember to lop the heads off

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
They made it literrally impossible to get DITCHIES! You cannot dig, trap or buy them...you need to catch them on a hook and line....have fun getting hooks into the mud!

Mike <")))))))><

·
Registered
419 Posts
Mike D. said:
They made it literrally impossible to get DITCHIES! You cannot dig, trap or buy them...you need to catch them on a hook and line....have fun getting hooks into the mud!

Mike <")))))))><
you can however follow a ditch digger for the city and collect them as the city is digging. :-X

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
fishin30 said:
Mike D. said:

Mike <")))))))><
you can however follow a ditch digger for the city and collect them as the city is digging. :-X
No u can't!!!

Mike <")))))))><

·
Registered
911 Posts
Actually there is no regs preventing it, Last year after doing a ditch I would walk back down the debris path and pick em out the only problem was by the time I got the machine to the end of the ditch the crows had pretty much cleaned up. Hey mike a good creek to do is Stewart, she's still loaded ;)
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Crazy Drifter said:
Actually there is no regs preventing it, Last year after doing a ditch I would walk back down the debris path and pick em out the only problem was by the time I got the machine to the end of the ditch the crows had pretty much cleaned up. Hey mike a good creek to do is Stewart, she's still loaded ;)
Cheers,
Crazy D
Mike is 100% right. The regulations preventing it are clearly stated in the fisheries act. The only "legal" way to get ditch eels is hook and line. This is no different than digging the ditch and finding a wayward steelhead in the backwash, you can't just go pick it up.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Well you do no they are going extinct don't you, ::), watching them dig up the ditches with excavators to prevent flooding and then telling us a shovel and a bucket is a hazard, makes me want to :wallbash:.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have 120 vacuum packs of Columbia River smelts(small ones). They look and fish the same as eulucheons.I got these last spring in Washington State....
About the ditch eels , they work great but regulations do not permit the regular joe to dig them out of the ditches. Makes sense,,NOT!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is pretty frustrating all in all. Ditch eels can't be used and oolies are damn expensive. I have talked with a few other guys that are using lamprey eels and dividing them into 3 pieces and taking those pieces and slicing them lengthwise into 5 or 6 strips. I haven't tried this but will this weekend. The nice thing about eel is that properly tied on it will last for many fish.

Also, I talked with a couple of Columbia River guides and they are having great luck using squid. I'm going to give that a go as well. It would be nice to find an easy bait source that doesn't cost an arm and leg and works. I'll post a follow up report.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Well you still can use DITCH EELS! I know I will....SQUID is a bait I am going to try out this yr...you can get a big box for like 4 bucks or something....and I have another bait that I am going to use....they smell reely bad and are 4-6 inches long...to bad ditchies are going extinct! ::)

Mike <")))))))><

·
Registered
911 Posts
I agree that The fisheries act does state that, it is illegal for any one to destroy fish habitat by using digging devices to catch or trap ditch eels. What I was stating was the spoil that is dumped on the banks or hauled to dump sites is what to watch for. I have worked with different environmental consults. and dfo reps in the area and have never been told that is a no no. As for the whole steelhead scenerio it would never happen, any fish bearring stream, requires a consultant, present to a) monitor silt content in the water and any accidental catches. Permiting regs may have changed since 2005 which was I think the last time we did any cleaning. If it is a salmonid berring stream good luck on getting access to it, incredibly hard to get permited. It i guess would be like getting caught with stink bait Rotten socks or springs)in the boat. :peace:
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
419 Posts
Crazy Drifter said:
I agree that The fisheries act does state that, it is illegal for any one to destroy fish habitat by using digging devices to catch or trap ditch eels. What I was stating was the spoil that is dumped on the banks or hauled to dump sites is what to watch for. I have worked with different environmental consults. and dfo reps in the area and have never been told that is a no no. As for the whole steelhead scenerio it would never happen, any fish bearring stream, requires a consultant, present to a) monitor silt content in the water and any accidental catches. Permiting regs may have changed since 2005 which was I think the last time we did any cleaning. If it is a salmonid berring stream good luck on getting access to it, incredibly hard to get permited. It i guess would be like getting caught with stink bait Rotten socks or springs)in the boat. :peace:
Cheers,
Crazy D

Where does one find this regulation. I can't seem to find anything on the topic :confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mike D. said:
Well you still can use DITCH EELS! I know I will....SQUID is a bait I am going to try out this yr...you can get a big box for like 4 bucks or something....and I have another bait that I am going to use....they smell reely bad and are 4-6 inches long...to bad ditchies are going extinct! ::)

Mike <")))))))><
To clarify...I meant you can't use them because you cant find them anymore not that they are illegal to use. Thanks for pointing that out Mike.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Jimmy said:
I have hear guys using smelt and injecting them with sent, would this work?
Yup, I know some guys who are just running smelt alone....be careful when picking it out though...you want the stuff that has a fresher smell to it...although others would say otherwise...but look that they are all in good condition...

Mike <")))))))><

1 - 20 of 20 Posts