BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to the different color shades on the backs of some Fraser sturgeon. Over the past weeks I noticed in the 3-7 foot range that some are much darker and some are quite fair. Are they a different variety. :-\ Or is it as with sailfish and marlin they darken and loose their chrome brilliance when they tier after a hard fight.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah it's so weird, I have noticed the same thing. But as long as we are treating the sturgeon right, I am happy with that. Try to play the fish as minimal as you can and mother nature will be happy with you. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Typically migrating fish will be much lighter bordering on silver-white.
I have seen Harrison fish that were brown and usually a thin but healthy fish.
Fraser Canyon fish seem darker as well and many have long up turned snouts.
I have also caught fish that were so white they were almost albino, but had regular eyes.
Then you have pink tinged fish like this one we caught the other day

Harrison fish

real white one

I threwin this one that ate too much :eek:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Got that one this tuesday(2 days ago), no tape, as we wanted it back in quickly, I guess close to 8 feet but really thick for its length. That fish could have easily sucked down a 40 pound Chinook in one hoover, but it seemed to like the 1/4 Oolie we had out there :thumbup:.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BR
The wife says the last big sturgeon pictured needs to go to Jenny. One spring to many :happy: .What a variation in colors especially the Harrison one. Is there one or many strains of sturgeon in the Fraser?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sturgeon are much like lizards who's pigment can change with enviroment. Those bright silvery/transparent fish that you catch in the Fraser are usually during high water /spring when the water is colored, the dirtier the water, the brighter the fish. As the Frasers water clarity improves, the sturgeons in the Fraser will darken. Have you ever caught a Harrison Sturgeon that was chrome silver/translusent? probably not, I have never seen one. Harrison fish are very dark which is a result of shallow water which sun prenetrates to the bottom. Sturgeon darken to protect themselves from UV rays and I would image some predatory reaction as well.

my 2 cents for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
RA40 said:
Sturgeon are much like lizards who's pigment can change with enviroment. Those bright silvery/transparent fish that you catch in the Fraser are usually during high water /spring when the water is colored, the dirtier the water, the brighter the fish. As the Frasers water clarity improves, the sturgeons in the Fraser will darken. Have you ever caught a Harrison Sturgeon that was chrome silver/translusent? probably not, I have never seen one. Harrison fish are very dark which is a result of shallow water which sun prenetrates to the bottom. Sturgeon darken to protect themselves from UV rays and I would image some predatory reaction as well.

my 2 cents for what it's worth.
I would have to agree with this statement! I have yet to see a Harrison Fish that is chrome, they all are dark looking!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I wonder how long it takes them to change pigment then?.

I have caught both brownish and grey/white Sturgeon in the Harrison, but I am sure the fish move around quickly and I always was led to believe that the real brown ones that are usually thin, came down from Harrison lake.

How about deformities and injuries? seen alot of these as well, recently caught a fish with only 1 eye , the other side was just skin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.