BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the question that I post to you all: If you are anchored in an area with a few other boats, sturgeon fishing of course, do you pull anchor and move if another boat is chasing a fish headed your way?
That being said, here is why I ask: Yesterday, I hooked a really good fish, saw it a few times, and it was pushing 8'. We were fishing in an area with quite a few other boats, and most of them knew what was going on. A boat below me had looked up river and saw me coming for a good while, I would guess at least 5 minutes. Sure enough, the fish was going right at their anchor. As we got closer, we realized they had no intention of going anywhere. Seeing that they weren't going to move, we decided that we'd have to put the screws to it a little to try to get it away from their anchor and lines. As you've guessed already, that was the end of that. The fish still got on the anchor, and away it went. By this time we were within spitting distance of the boat, and just got a blank stare. I didn't say a word to them, I think I was in disbelief of what had transpired.
So, what do you do in that situation, from both sides? If you're in the boat with the fish on, do you yell ahead and ask them to move? If you are in the boat that the fish is approaching, do you get out of dodge?
I have always moved when I see another boat coming at me with a fish. You never know, it may be that persons fish of a lifetime. I don't want to be the one to screw it up for them.
Don't get me wrong, i'm not pointing fingers of blame, or asking for an apology. There are many other big fish in the river, and it's not worth getting pissed off about fishing. We do it for fun, and that is what it is, just fun.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Sounds like it was a tough go steeliesrking...good on you for keeping your head and for being the type of angler to move when you realize your position on the river could compromise another boats fish...

My experience with sturgeon is limited, but I enjoy fishing for them very much...seems to me by the information I've been able to glean from the more seasoned sturgeon anglers on this board that boat positioning can be a contentious issue at times. Proper etiquette dictates not anchoring too close to and below another boat does it not...? My understanding is this is as much for peoples ability to play a fish once hooked as it is for getting into another boats scent trail...not a classy move by my understanding.

Personally, I would hoist anchor and move if I saw a boat drifting towards me playing a fish...was this boat you speak of anchored in your scent trail and perhaps a little close...or were they far enough downstream that you were comfortable with it?

Seems to me good spacing between boats, including offsetting your boat a little so as not to be directly downstream of another boat would help alleviate this. It'd be interesting to hear what the more experienced sturgeon hunters have to say as well...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would have called to the other boat and indicated that you had a large fish on.
They may not have been aware of what was really going on.

Did the fish jump?
That should have been a sign to the other boat to move out of the way.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Can I ask a question, were you there before him and did he just come along and anchor right below you? Because if thats the case - yeah - get him the hell out of the way! yell at him... sorry but no one should be anchoring that close behind someone! Just last week when we were out we had a guy scream up in his boat and anchor DIRECTLY below us -(you wouldnt believe how close he dropped) you could hear the guy spit for crying out loud! I yelled at him... of course it was ignore... we pulled anchor drove over to them and asked them if they knew anything about boating etiquette? We have had a number of guys do this to us - dropping WAY TO CLOSE... well this time we said something... then we drove behind him and dropped anchor below him.... just pissed us off! To be honest I dont think he had any idea that you don't do that - your basically stealing someone elses scent trail....
Now if he did that - (drove up and dropped below you) and you got on this beauty of a fish - you bet he should of moved - at least that's my opinion! But then if the guy drops anchor below YOU - he probably doesnt have the decency to get the heck out of the way

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Easy water, the fish didn't jump. But regardless, they knew I was coming. They were standing up looking over the top of their boat, watching me the entire time.

Rib, they were actually there first. I came in and anchored above them by 300-400 yards or so, and offset towards the middle of the river by 75-100 yards. I was plenty comfortable with my position, and felt like I was giving everybody lots of room. I don't enjoy being crowded or crowding others, and am always very careful to leave enough room. I've been fishing sturgeon for quite a while (13 years or so), and am fully aware of normal anchoring proceedures, and not interfering with others scent trails. As you guys know, and 8' fish is going to go where it wants, regardless of how you have positioned your boat.
Thanks for your responses, hopefully we can get a few more opinions.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Good, but tough question......

I have only ever dropped my anchor (another boat with a fish) if someone I know has dropped anchor and we happen to be filming their fight....if they are fighting a fish, to me, it is up to them to move it away from the other boat(s)

I have never expected anyone to pull anchor for me if I am fighting a fish, nor do I expect to pull my anchor for them. I have always considered it up to me to turn/move the fish away from other boat(s) etc. Rib brought up a good point on how the boats are arranged, who was there first, did the lower boat drop in below you etc., etc....

The boat below you (there first?) would watch you (as I would) to see what is going on, probably hoping that you would be able "to move" the fish out and away. As you are well aware, to pull in your gear, water sock etc., then pull anchor isn't a 30 second ordeal (never mind moving you bait, losing scent trail etc.) and could cause a domino set up with any other boats below you......::)

Long story short, in the dozen or so years fishing dinos, I have never had that happen to me, but it would be a story to tell!.... Guess all you can say is "Sh*t Happens!!"

Mike

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Now can i ask if that 8 ft sturgeon is dragging busted line and a 18oz wieght around now where ever he goes? Saddens me to think of this.Such a magnificant creature that is getting more and more angler pressure put upon them.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well in that case if you chose to anchor above him - I agree with Mike - it does take a bit to pull everything in - Did you drop your buoy and try and get him out to the middle right away... And I guess it was just plain bad luck
And Dennis T - that would depend on how you rig your set up....with a slider or whatever - if you have a slider on there - theres no issue with the weight being dragged around maybe a bit of line.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Leaseman, that is exactly why I stated the last point on my first post, crap happens. To reiterate it, i'm not really that upset about it, i'm just looking for some different points of view from people who weren't involved. Like I said before, I wasn't expecting him to move. I agree, it's a lot of work to pull everything up.

Yeah fvr, the first move was to try to get it to the middle. Unfortunately, the fish had other ideas.

Dennis, I understsand your point. The way that the weight is rigged onto the mainline is with a slider, so the weight will slide off the line, and the fish will not have to drag it around. I had a few marks on the line previously, to show me how much line was out from the reel. I was able to figure that there wasn't more than a few feet of mainline, plus the leader, left on the hook. Not that that makes it a whole lot better.

·
Registered
550 Posts

SRK- Sounds like you did everything right...If I saw someone coming down with a nice fish on I would try my best to get out of the way (depending on how the other boat approached. If they anchored too close to begin with then I wouldn’t worry about it as much but it sounds like you were respectful and therefore you would get my respect back if that makes any sense??)

One thing I have noticed when fighting the bigger Sturgeon is changing the angle of your rod can help a lot with controlling these fish. You want to use side pressure to try and turn the fish instead of just holding the rod straight up...Having said that when they want to run sometimes there is no stopping or slowing them down...thats the fun part

-RC

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Nice to know the weight comes off.Probally a whole lot better for the fish not having to drag the weight around.Thanks for the insight as i dont fish for sturgeon and dont know how one rigs up to fish for them.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I would of got the hell outta the way...

just like walking down the bank with a big spring on or steelie on....please move fish coming down!!!!

I move out of the way all the time!!! as long as the guy is 100 yds away!!! When I was fishing up near hope last week we chased a 8+ footer down river probably over 1km around a corner and the guys fishing below it pulled their rods in and anchor up and went to shore to watch us fight it!!!

However I never moved this year once as this guide dropped anchor directly above us and was so close he lost one of his rigs on my anchor!!!! he hooked a beauty fish that broke off on my swim grid for heavens sakes!!!

Island 22 was a royal rumble at the end of the day thats for sure!!!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Wow, that many boats fishing Sturgeon fighting for position on such a large river as the Fraser!
Usually not that many boats Dennis.....::).... there are a few holes that attract some boats and the mouth of the Stave can get pretty packed in dog season! But as a rule, there aren't tons of boats (more lower river) in one general area unless it is a group charter or a group of friends out!

I have lost big fish to snags, pilot error and gear malfunction..... guess my turn is coming up to losing one to someone elses boat.....:thumbup:.... just hope it's not to the guide who has dropped juuuuuust below me a few times to use my scent trail....;)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Without a second thought I would pull up anchor, reel in and stay out of their way.

You hit the nail on the head Mike ...... no different than fighting a Spring or Steelie ...... "FISH ON" ...... that's all I'd have to hear to show some etiquite.

I certainly would also expect the same in return from those who fish around me. It only takes 2 minutes max (if you use some effort) and as mentioned could be someone's fish of a lifetime.

Also I wouldn't, as was done to me once, drive circles around the boat of those fighting the fish. Give them some room and don't create a wake!!

Actually it's nice to know who would and wouldn't give you some right-of-way ........... some information for the memory banks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i lift my anchor by armstrong. with my luck i would pull up, move then watch a clown bring in a 6'er.
boat control is part of the game.

i use 8/0 gamy's and they always open up before snapping the 100lb leader or 130lb main line.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Actually it's nice to know who would and wouldn't give you some right-of-way ........... some information for the memory banks.
Ya, I used to have few I would lend my seal to when I saw them out on the chuck.

·
Registered
901 Posts
if he was there first he has no obligation to move for you. thought must be played into where you anchor.. 300 yards can seem far until you hook a good fish. thats why i generally don't anchor anywhere near other boats. but if i have a good fish on i will try to tow it out into the middle away from the other boats below me.i doubt most guys are willing to pull anchor especially if they cant afford a big jet with a winch system. pulling up an anchor at 40 plus feet all day sucks. oh well shit happens, at the end of the day its just an 8fter, you will hook bigger ones.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Ask them to move, thats what I would have done, the other option is to move your boat to try and make the fish move away from that boat, if you go downstream of the fish, then try get right over it, seldom do they get around those anchors and/or logs. One of my favorite spots is very snaggy, and you have to be a very aggressive captain to not lose fish to snags, staying constantly on top of the fish can save you grief.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts