BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went out sturgeon hunting on sunday....father was down from edmonton....
hooked into in one about ten min..then 6footer then another 6fter then nice little ones
for couple more hours..then the monster 8ft plus 2 and half hrs later we got him to
he jumped about 100yards out :shock: woohooo :D then 1half hours in the fight we thought
he was snaged on a stump :? but wasnt..just sitting on bottom :)

fist one is nephews second fish ever..fought for about 40mins..nephew was done after that :D
really sore arms didnt stop shaking for 1hr :D
next pic was the big fight

hope these work :oops:

·
Registered
229 Posts
where at?

Do you mind my asking where you were fishing at and what you were using for bait, taking my three teenage boys out for their first sturgeon hunt on friday should be fun!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Tailing with any kind of rope is a no-no in a lot of circles..I wish the rest of the guides would get with the program....
Check out Cascade Fishing ,,,Mark is very pro-active with regards to sturgeon tailing..
Still,nice fish...
Bob(your guide) looks much happier now that he retired from the Fire Dept....Made room for me to get promoted.. :D

·
Registered
730 Posts
I know the river so well :wink: That pic was taken a few hundred yards up from the mouth of the stave if I'm not mistaken??

·
Registered
730 Posts
heard clumps of old dog pieces were catchin lots of sturgies at the mouth of the stave fishin from shore!!! Lots of ho's too but remember a tidal license is needed.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
abbyfireguy said:
Tailing with any kind of rope is a no-no in a lot of circles..I wish the rest of the guides would get with the program....
Check out Cascade Fishing ,,,Mark is very pro-active with regards to sturgeon tailing..
Still,nice fish...
Bob(your guide) looks much happier now that he retired from the Fire Dept....Made room for me to get promoted.. :D
When we battle the fish to the shore, we then harness the tale, We DON'T harness the tale out in the middle of the river and drag him in backwards! For those of us that tag sturgeon, we need to harness the tall so they won’t get away, while we tag them! When we tag a fish we measure the length, girth, where it was caught and then scan his head for a tag, if there is no tag we insert a tag with a syringe, se picture below.
\

Unfortionatly Mr Mark does not tag sturgeon, :? so he can complain about us all he wants! If it wasn't for the tagging program he might not be still fishing for the mighty Fraser River Great White Sturgeon!!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sorry to strike a nerve Bergler..Not intended to ruffle your feathers about tailing,just an observation....
I do understand some of the reasoning pro vs con, that being said, I still am almost in the middle of the road. Didn't want to come across as totally anti-tailing. Sorry if I offended anyone or left that impression...
I did however watch one rather active 6 footer tailed against the boat thrashing enough to make the boat sound like a drum..After I went over and chatted with the people and observed a very course, nylon rope with a pre-tied slip noose in it..
That rope was so rough it had to easily rub off skin from the sturgeon....
I have a very supple yacht braid rope that would seem a better choice, but have not used it yet as I have had no problem retaining most of the sturgeon we have caught.That being said, I don't tag fish either, but have been out with others who have and found it extremely interesting and immensely worthwhile in the efforts to keep the info acurate on the White Sturgeon..
We should thank all the participants in the tagging program!!!Again, hope you're not tick off with me Rick..I wouldn't want that nice North River giving me the spray job.. :lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
abby....i think bob had a great day as well..he let me set all lines :D only lost 2
one went running into the other three lines :shock: got all tangled up
still the biggest sturgeon i ever hooked :)

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
abbyfireguy said:
Sorry to strike a nerve Bergler..Not intended to ruffle your feathers about tailing,just an observation....
I do understand some of the reasoning pro vs con, that being said, I still am almost in the middle of the road. Didn't want to come across as totally anti-tailing. Sorry if I offended anyone or left that impression...
I did however watch one rather active 6 footer tailed against the boat thrashing enough to make the boat sound like a drum..After I went over and chatted with the people and observed a very course, nylon rope with a pre-tied slip noose in it..
That rope was so rough it had to easily rub off skin from the sturgeon....
I have a very supple yacht braid rope that would seem a better choice, but have not used it yet as I have had no problem retaining most of the sturgeon we have caught.That being said, I don't tag fish either, but have been out with others who have and found it extremely interesting and immensely worthwhile in the efforts to keep the info acurate on the White Sturgeon..
We should thank all the participants in the tagging program!!!Again, hope you're not tick off with me Rick..I wouldn't want that nice North River giving me the spray job.. :lol:
I'm not pissed off at all, I just didn't wanted people to get the wrong impression, if done properly it doesn't harm the fish, that's all! :D

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
After watching a fellow guide take pictures of his clients holding a 5 foot sturgeon with their hands up inside it's gill area, with the fish vertical, I think theres alot more education needed with all the new guides, perhaps Mark and others should have a seminar.
Myself, I use very soft and supple rope, that cost a small fortune, and only use it on the very Largest of fish in an effort to protect them, if my hands can get a good grip of the tail wrist I do without.
My buddy who guides and tags also found a tailess big boy recently :?: .
Another important thing is to only slowly tow a fish to shore with the hook in it's mouth, not a tail rope on, this is deadly to them.Also if you foul hook them, please do not tow them, hand line and reel them and release quickly boatside, water being pushed hard back wards thru the gills is also deadly.
Sport caught mortality needs to be kept extremely low if we wish to keep playing with these amazing fish.

·
Registered
612 Posts
One of the first things I tell clients before commencing to sturgie fish is how we handle the sturgies...First and foremost is care...I really enjoy sturgeon fishing and find it remarkable how tough and adaptable these beasts are,even after all we have done to their habitat...
From what I have gleaned from both observations and first hand reports,most sturgeon fishermen are being careful with their handling...There are alway exceptions to that though and a polite reminder said at the right moment is not out of order....The gill area needs to be kept away from just as you would with any C&R fishing...
I have cameras and slings close at hand prior to landing in an effort to make things go as quickly and smoothly as possible...
Even after handling lots of sturgeon I still am in awe of these cool creatures...
The look on new sturgeon fishers when they see their first sturgeon jump is absolutely priceless..
Lets take care to keep sturgeon fishing available to all.....
If anyone has questions about safe handling of sturgeon, I'm sure there are many experienced people here who can share methods and/or pictures of the proper techniques to ensure a fun and harmless sturgeon trip.. :D
Bottom line, sturgeon fish can be one of the most inspiring and memorable fishing adventures one can reflect back on just for its uniqueness alone...
Not bad for a fish with the looks only a mother would love.. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts