BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my hands on some eulachon, but have never fished with them before.

Can someone give some tips as to how to use them? i.e. whole fish, cut-up strips, etc.

Also, I thought I'd heard that you have to remove the head...is that true?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Size: I don't put on more than what 2 or 3 dew worms would amount to ..... any more and it's a waste and not as easy for your target to suck em in. Are they Eulachons or Smelts??? Strips or 2 - 3" chunks ...... doesn't really matter ....... sturgeon are not that picky. :wink:

Heads: I don't know about others but it is always a ritual with me to behead them (regulation or not).

The other junk fish in the fraser work good too ..... just cut off their heads and slit there gut a little. The fresher the better ...... ding ding the dinner bell is ringing.

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hey Lund L,
Like GF said lop the heads off and have atter. I rig mine like a cut plug style minus the curve in the body. Be ready though if you use a euly or sqaw as bait we have found the pigs have been bumpin it sometimes only once then inhalein em so be ready to grab your rod quick. with eels or dewy you usually get a little warning.
good luck,
Crazy D

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Removal of the head is done to prove you are not using live eulachon, which you would think would be obvious, but I believe it is the law, so I comply.
I like to use 1/2 a oolie, I use my hook as a needle and thread it thru the ollie and around at least 4 times and then bury the hook in the oolie so the point is the only part exsposed.
This will stay on until a sturgeon mauls it or you get a hook up, coarse fish have no success stealing your bait, they will rough it up a bit, but hey thats helps the scent trail :lol: .

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great info guys.

Ironhead - When you say you use half, do you cut it in half length-wise (in a strip) or across, like a plug?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Cut in half, not lengthwise.
If your using the Columbia smelts everyone is calling OOlies, and they are small, then use the whole fish.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If they are the one's I've seen at Hub Sports (et al) and they are about 7" long ........ remove the head & cut in 3" sections or shorter.

If they are the small 4" ones that were at Real Canadian Superstore use the whole smelt. You may want to wrap some golf ball elastic or similar elastic around the head to help keep it on.

Interesting ........ 4 or 5 - 7" smelts in a package at Hub Sports for approx. $5.00 ......

OR ...

a large bag of 4" smelts @ Real Canadian Superstore for $4.00 ......... take your pick :?:

Hard at that rate to support your local tackle store.

And the 4" ones work GREAT :!: :!:

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Just looked at your .jpg pic ...... yup ..... those are the ones that Roger @ Hubs had.

Remove the head ..... cut is sections ....... you'll do great.

Try giving them a variety of other baits ........ Sturgeon really like a smorg.

GOFISH 8)

·
Banned
33 Posts
we've been getin alot of sturgies down in delta off r road ,the biggest in the last few weeks has been 5ft 6' and its only gettin better .only worms though.i would like to try some other bait?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Try fresh bellies from all the sockeye you have been catching...The tough part around the fin stays on the hook great and works good right now....
Gill sections also work good.....
We have been doing very well for sturgeon lately using fresh salmon parts....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
abbyfireguy said:
Try fresh bellies from all the sockeye you have been catching...The tough part around the fin stays on the hook great and works good right now....
Gill sections also work good.....
We have been doing very well for sturgeon lately using fresh salmon parts....
I took the boat up to peg leg from Isl 22 today (interesting trip). Just down from where we anchored, there were three young guys throwing a huge row ball then sockeye gills out the back and they got two 6' and a 4' sturgeon within an hour or so.

Mean while, the sockeye fishing stunk. We fished from 6am until noon and I could count on one hand the number of sockeye I saw landed from boat and shore. My buddy got a nice 10lb'er, but I got skunked....again! :evil:

I'm saving my roe, and will also save salmon belly now, for this fall's and next spring's sturgeon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts