BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about going after some sturgeon and haven't seen any reports lately, anyone been out?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Guess not.........but on the other hand, I think there should be some pretty pleasant fishing along the Fraser for the next few weeks.......you might want to get that fishing done this year, tho' If the Feds have their way, we may not be fishing for them much longer....Ortho

·
Registered
550 Posts
Was out a couple weeks ago....no luck :(

Thinking about giving it another shot soon.Should be good one the oolicans start up.

Let us know if you find any :wink:

Cheers

-RC

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ortho, explain please" Feds have their way"

Is there pressure to stop the catch and release fishing for them ? Never fished for them, planning on a day of it this October. Is first week in October a good time of year ? Will be our 3rd time to fish Chilliwack area for a week, never fished for these big fish before, will this time. Thanks. Salt.

G

·
0 Posts
Texas Salt - 1st week in october is PRIME TIME for Sturgeon, by far one of the best times a year to fish for them.

Mike <")))><

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey Salt.........There was an article in the local paper recently that gives one the impression the Dept. of Fisheries is considering including the White Sturgeon in the lower Fraser under the "species at risk" and or "endangered species" in spite of all the research that has been done by a variety of groups that shows clearly that the sturgeon have been thriving in the river and their numbers continue to grow....
The fish are strictly catch & release. They grow to 10 feet or more and can weigh up to 7-800lbs. The charter boat owners in the upper Fraser Valley have been extremely organized and aiding with the ongoing research. It has been documented via a tagging program that some fish have been caught and released a number of times with no ill effects....
Off the record, any species that can survive in the Fraser River for millions of years must be pretty hardy!! The charter business is pretty big in the river and the spin-offs to the communuties is millions of dollars a year, so I hope they realize there is no immediate danger to these beautiful fish and continue to support the research, rather than closing the fishery.
If there are no changes to the regs, let me know when you are coming to the area and definitely set a day aside for a sturgeon trip....Most fish caught are in the 3-5ft. range but fish in the 5-7ft. size are not uncommon.
I know several excellent guides that will almost assure success.
Tight lines.....Ortho

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Mike,

The October time frame is interesting to me, I keep hearing that warm water (summer months) is a must. What dont I know? Maybe this is an active year round fishery?

FFreak

G

·
0 Posts
fishinfreak said:
Hey Mike,

The October time frame is interesting to me, I keep hearing that warm water (summer months) is a must. What dont I know? Maybe this is an active year round fishery?

FFreak
Yes, Sturgeon fishing is a year round sport, summer time warm waters are when the sturgeon fight till no end and this is when the bad boys come out and play. The fall is normally considered a "Prime Time" as there is more than enough bait to go around and the sturgeon feed heavily,so I guess this is basically a heavy feeding period in the fall? 25+ fish days are common in the fall as the summer JUL/AUG don't produce the numbers but the length of fish are told to be bigger, I am sorta new to this but from what I know :roll: , maybe I don't have the proper training/knowledge to be posting on this topic yet.......

Anyways for a sturgeon update. I have not been out yet but have heard that the Avg. Day has been around 10-15 fish. Dunno if anyone considers this good or not but anyways.

Mike <"))))><

·
Registered
45 Posts
We were out last weekend and got 13 in 5 hours, which was high for recent trips (according to the guide).

The word is the fish are still fairly lethargic due to the cold water, and they had some days with 0 fish hooked.

The fall is the absolute best for Sturgeon on the Fraser. Last year October we got 8 in four hours - all over 5.5 feet.

Good luck.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Fished on Sautrday as well. Was out for 3 hours and got 4. Nothing huge, the biggest was 4 feet. Still good to be back on the Fraser.

S

·
0 Posts
Sturgeon fishing April 14th.

Went sturgeon fishing today between Mission and the Stave. So many boats out there, it was rediculous. One guy in a North River nearly ran over us as he didn't see us close to the shore. I think it was a guide boat as well. Got a few fish on cured tuna. It was a bait a very seasoned and retired sturgeon fisherman asked me try. It worked like a charm. A lot of the boats didn't get any fish but we got a few on this new bait. The biggest was only 7' but not bad for an unfamiliar bait. Anyways, after the numbers of boats and lack of ethics I may put my jet boat up for sale.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If you enjoy your jetboat don't worry about the others out there...Just go somewhere that is quieter...Always works for me......Some guys just need a gentle reminder when they goof up...Nobody is perfect,but all should learn how to run boats properly...
Keep the PFD's on.. :?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey synovium, care to expand on that cured tuna thing at all? Sounds interesting to me. PM me if you want.

·
Registered
347 Posts
big fish

Plan on being there in October. Question please: we have caught big fish but not these. How long does it take to tag and release a fish this size, 4', 5', etc ? We plan on a day of Stergon fishing, our first. Thanks. Salt.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
First you have to get 'em to the boat!...The tagging & release of the fish takes only a few minutes, does not harm the fish and everyone in the boat can help out.....You will really enjoy your trip.....Lotsa fun for everyone, even if you don't fish!............Ortho

1 - 20 of 33 Posts