BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went out last week ,and again yesterday and we havent had much luck. After we went out the first time - after we came home, we thought maybe we hadnt rigged the smelt up properly, as we had left on the fins and didnt watch to see if the fish was swirling. (Pretty sure they were) So next time we went out we cut off the fins and made sure the fish was not rolling. We have read contradicting articles one says to have the fish straight and the other says to have it swirling??? We tried 2 different areas. one - dropping the boat in Ft langley and trying a number of areas there and yesterday we tried dropping the boat at Island 22 and we went to the area we did really well at last August - but didnt get anything there eitherl. Anyways were going to go out again on the weekend and I wanted to ask about the rigging of the fish and if anyone knows which area is the best this time of the year.

· Registered
1,030 Posts
Are u using smelt or oolies? smelt sometimes do not work near as well....I found anyways, as I through away the package after 1 day as oolies r the reel thang!

Whenever I use a fin fish for sturgeon I just take off the head, and let the rest be, kind of like a cut plug, and I find that the fish of course have way better action in the water, which not only attracts the fish but makes em' way more agressive on the bite! I guess maybe they think the fish is getting away! oh and for rigging them I just put the hook through half of the meat just b4 the tail, and do about 2-4 half hitch knots on the way up...depends how big the fish is of course!

Just my opinion on that

And also if u were using smelt near the island 22 area...they are not as effective up high, around the mission area yes, as the purpose for the sturgeon moving down there is to feast on the oolies....

We have done well up in the Chilliwack area so far this yr lost one over 9 feet and got several around 4-5 feet.....roe roe and more roe...eels....and anything else that is a natural bait in the river....maybe try squawbies or crawdads...they are very effective when presented properly....another key thing is now that the freshet has hit, this means that the fish have moved out of the deep holes that they stay in during the winter...so now u have sturgeon scattered everywhere! this time of year I like to fish the shallow shelfs and edges on the holes....not saying all the sturgeon are out of the deep holes....but we noticed in the past that during the high water we had hooked a lot more sturgeon (3-5ft) on the shelfs and edges than we actually did in the holes....except we hooked more big ones in the deeper slots.... :-\

Next time out in the wack area, try tossing your bait a little closer to the edge of the hole....we did that last year and landed 3 in 1 hour in 12 feet of water! 2 5's and a 4 ;D

· Registered
1,030 Posts
Nope, they're not the reel thang! Those must of been columbia river smelt.....the sturgeon are not the biggest fans of them up here (they r down there) up here the oolichans (a form of smelt to the fraser) are totally the ticket! But they are now harder to find...I heard that Hubs in Abby got a load of em' in....they still might have some!

· Registered
225 Posts
Hubs has them, picked some up the other day but you should call ahead as they go through them pretty fast, they definitely make a difference went out two weekends ago and got ten to the boat and lost three more, biggest was about 6 1/2 ft.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
There is a lot of info on fishing sturgeon on this site and quite a few members fish for them a lot. This is not the "best" time of the year, but they can be found. If you want to up your success a bit try the following:

Use enough weight to secure the presentation on the bottom so it doesn't "bounce" or move.Use 60-8- lb.dacron leaders 18-24" (NOT monofilament)
Do not allow your bait to "spin" Remember the current at the bottom in a hole is much slower than the surface speed.
Use 6/0 to 9/0 barbless hooks and make sure they are sharp
Take a variety of baits with you
You can use 4 or 5 dew worms tied on with spider line or a "shrimp sandwich"
(crushed fresh shrimp meat) in a golf ball sized chunk in a nylon bag, or try eel, fresh squid, herring or anchovies or guts from practically any fish. Either fish them plain with spideer line or in a roe sac or equivalent.
If you have a depthfinder on your boat, this will help find the "holes" and slots.
Use a GPS if you have one to mark both your good and bad spots.
Go where the guide boats go
Don't get "triggerhappy" If you have some action on the rod, try not to bump the rod, as vibrations can move a fish away. Be sure the fish is moving with the bait then set hard and FAST.
Use some of the smelly jelly's and artificial scents along with the worms/etc.
Spend 1/2 hr. max at each spot, then move.

Have fun out there.....Ortho 8)

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well when sturgeon fishing - I would like to ask about the strikes. When we have been out we dont know really whether we have small fish biting or sturgeon. I remember last summer (the first time we sturgeon fished) We basically ignored the small tapping and waited for the BUMP, BUMP, BUMP. Cause that is when we set the hook! Hopefully we werent missing all the bites with all the nibbles.
We got out today bought the proper oolies and were going to give it a try this weekend. We have a depth sounder and a GPS with a map of the river up to chilliwack (the sounding map) We will try the worms and the shrimp sandwich too :happy: :happy:
Thanks guys for taking all the time and helping us out! Will let you know how it goes! I really need a sore arm this weekend :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.