BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on another site and thought people would be interested.

WHITE STURGEON LICENCE REQUIRED SEPTEMBER 12, 2008
REGIONS 2, 3 and 5
Beginning September 12, 2008, sport anglers taking part in the white sturgeon fishery in
the lower and middle freshwater portions of the Fraser River watershed will be required
to carry a new White Sturgeon Conservation License (WSCL) in addition to a basic
provincial angling license.
The lower and middle portions of the Fraser River watershed, from the Mission
Bridge to and including Williams Lake River in the Cariboo Region, are the only fresh
waters in B.C. where it is legal to fish for white sturgeon in a unique catch-and-release
fishery. All other fresh waters in B.C. are closed to sturgeon fishing. Due to the recent
listing of the other white sturgeon populations (the Columbia, Nechako, Kootenay and
upper Fraser populations) as endangered under the federal Species at Risk Act (SARA),
these other populations are not open to recreational fishing.
In light of heightened concern for the lower and middle Fraser populations, and
the social and economic importance they represent, the Ministry of Environment will be
taking additional measures to ensure their sustainable management.
Provincial fisheries managers are committed to closely monitor and assess the
health of white sturgeon populations still available for fisheries. To accomplish this, the
new WSCL will support the gathering of information on the sturgeon fisheries remaining
open and will raise revenue for white sturgeon research and management activities.
The WSCL will be available in one-day, eight-day or annual options. Annual
licenses for residents will cost $25, with an eight-day WSCL priced at $15 and a one-day
license at $8. For those who do not live in B.C., the cost will be $60 for an annual
license, $30 for an eight-day WSCL and $15 for a one-day license.
The WSCL will be available in both paper and electronic formats. However, in
2008, anglers who have purchased a paper basic license will need to obtain a paper
WSCL. Anglers who purchased an electronic basic license are encouraged to purchase
an electronic WSCL, but may purchase a paper version if necessary. All revenue
generated from the sales of the WSCL will be directed to the Habitat Conservation Trust
Foundation for use in sturgeon stock management activities.
The Conservation Officer Service will be enforcing this new freshwater
licensing requirement beginning September 12, 2008. The Conservation Officer
Service encourages the public to Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP) by calling the 24-
hour hotline toll free at 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP), #7277 on the TELUS Mobility Network or
by visiting the RAPP website at www.rapp.bc.ca.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Man that really stinks, maybe they'll kick back some money to the guides that have been doing all their field research for the past years. Seeing as how they are about to put another dent in their buisness.

·
Registered
190 Posts
hmm, I am not the most educated on this topic, but it seems a money grab to me. Everything i've been hearing and reading suggests the Sturgeon population in the lower Fraser is flourishing. IMO, they should still be protected and C&R only of course, but a specific licence? :-\

·
Registered
886 Posts
eimaj said:
Man that really stinks, maybe they'll kick back some money to the guides that have been doing all their field research for the past years. Seeing as how they are about to put another dent in their business.
Wow. :eek: I didn't know that there was a gun pointed at the head of the guides on the Fraser if they didn't cooperate in the field research done for sturgeon. Its about time there is a conservation surcharge stamp for sturgeon at $25 yearly for a BC resident. Nothing is free in life anymore,nothing. You want to play,you got to pay. :thumbup: :cheers: sage

·
Registered
911 Posts
I dont think the $8.00 charge for a day lic. will affect them as much as the .50 cent a litre fuel increase over the last year. BUT I agree 89rs it most likely is another gov't money grab, let's hope they prove me wrong and actually put money back into helping the sturgeon population not just $1.00 per license either.
Crazy D

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm also a sceptic until proved wrong..I sincerely hope the funds will all go directly to sturgeon research and conservation measures..Do I currently believe that? Not really... :confused:
Lets hope it proves out well,if not, that they have the guts to scrap it....
Somehow I doubt that would happen,,once they have their hand in your wallet it stays there... :'(

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
BC just lost money with this tag, it is both a extremely poor business decision and and takes money directly out of the pockets of guides, tackle stores, hotels, restuarants, and many other filter down businesses in the sportsfishing industry.

Sturgeon fishing is already a very hard sell to anglers from abroad, alot of our trips are started by having a group out Salmon fishing, it is a slow day and you suggest to them , "lets try some Sturgeon" , the clients try it and are like "why didn't you tell us about this crazy fishery" even though you tried. Next thing you know they book a 1 week trip 1/2 Sturgeon half Salmon.
Now you will try and sell them on that afternoon of Sturgeon fishing when they are here for salmon and add oh by the way it will be an additional 60$ for the boat, guess what , "no thanks" will be the answer and everyone including those dimwits at MOE will lose money, it's reall a no brainer.

The tag system was originally brought in to help pay for Salmon enhancement, it was a "RETENTION" tag, only needed for RETENTION. Which makes one ask why does the province charge you for salmon retention when the Feds run the salmon programs ???.

Then they got the idea to have a Steelhead "RETENTION" tag, not a bad idea if you are going to actually do meaningful enhancement. Instead we got stuck with a tag that is still here despite the provinces almost non existent Steelhead enhancement or habitat work. Now it is not just for enhancement but just fishing for Steelhead.
This has killed about 50% of local Steelhead guiding and people who visit the lower mainland are not interested in paying an extra 60$ on their licence on top of guiding costs to MAYBE hook a STeelhead. Why has the province not started the 1 day, 8 day, year with Steelhead ??, because its nothing but a ill conceived money grab.
Have we witnessed a great investment back into Steelhead??.
How much money have our local economies lost from anglers not coming to fish Steelhead because they were going to try it for a day while here on business but costs were just to high.
These same folks are the ones who WOULD come back and fish for a week if they new how awesome Steelhead are but never tried that initial day due to costs.
Again local economies lose money from spin offs, guides lose money, the gol darn MOE loses money, they bite their own hand on this one.

These tag systems make sense if you are trying to raise money for enhancement or habitat work, but we have seen the history of that and no one is fooled.
On top of that why should a visiting angler pay far more than a local angler for a tag, WE are the ones [email protected]$$ing up the resource, my opinion is it should be equal or less for a visiting angler, they are bringing lots of $$$ into our economy via spin offs from travel and accomodation and the world wide attention they bring drums up more tourists to our area, which means more money for BC period, why handcuff that.

How about the Ocean lodges what do they have to cahrge clients for licences, I mean they send people home with coolers filled with Salmon, Halibut, cod and deplete our resource far quicker than a freshwater angler.

Lets review some costs for a week long trip to the Fraser Valley VS a 5 day trip to the Ocean

Freshwater trip for UK angler
General licence 8 day $50
salmon tag $30
steelhead tag $60
Sturgeon tag $60
This equals $200.00 per angler, there are 4 anglers, so this equals $800 for licencing for the week trip.
Amount of fish killed 2 Chums cooked on shore for shore lunch.

Uk anglers are a frugal bunch they would probably drop the Sturgeon and Steelhead tags if they have never fished for them and stick to Salmon. With faltering Salmon runs this loss of diversity with their trip could very well result in a trip somewhere else next time.

Keep in mind these anglers eat out every day, stay in hotels and purchase gifts, tackle and other items with the strong UK dollar.

Now a Ocean licence for a non Canadian

5 day = 32.55
tag = 6.30

For a whopping grand total of 38.85

Now as you all know, virtually all anglers leave the Ocean lodge with severe poundage of meat, 100 pounds minimum, more often 200 pounds, I know I have been there done that.

Spin offs, not many except for the lodge.

Wheres the halibut tag, the snapper tag, the rock bass tag, .......................

The one difference between these two trips is the MOE or Province if you will, there on going money grab at the tourism industry while raping the resource is becoming ledgendary.

They have no problem selling the gravel from spawning beds(yes Sturgeon rearing areas also), selling out to private power, and developing on or too near fish habitat.

But it doesn't stop them from grabbing at any dollar they can find.

To say I am skeptical about them doing ANY Sturgeon enhancement or studies is an understatement.

As far as a tag for myself , I have absolutely no problem paying a $100 for any tag if I know things are going in the right direction.

But as I spend thousands of my own dollars(gas,building special holding tanks for floating, etc..) doing volunteer Steelhead brood captures, I find it disgusting that 50% of my calls about Steelhead trips stop at the licence costs, rather ironic.

During public consultation the tag idea was clearly voted down by everyone in attendance, however here we are with the tag coming in, funny beacause I thought the provincial govt was voted in by the people to represent the people.

What I see is a couple new desk jobs for MOE and a thousands of less trips for fishing guides, whos revenue is supposed to pay for those very jobs, total FAIL for MOE.

I dedicate this to MOE

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
One more problem I have with this.

Why are they not bringing it in with the new licence year???.

Instead they are sneaking it in right when guiding season is at its peak, because they now full well we have people who already have trips booked and its like taking hostages, this part makes my blood boil.

Now I have to phone clients and inform them their trip costs have risen, if I were them I would refuse to pay and consider this the problem of the guide company and expect them to foot the bill.

Shite is gonna hit the fan on this one.

First the gas costs now this, the Province is run by criminals, :confused:.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the provinve is run by criminals but has been forever. As far as your comment that non-residents having to pay less then a resident to fish is garbage. Do they do any work on rivers to help keep it clean, do they pay taxes over here, NO. Have you looked at what it costs to fish elsewhere in the world. We all knew this was coming, I think some just did not want to admit it would happen. I think it should be a protected fishery as at one point where they not on the endangered list. Maybe this will stop alot of these fish from being hooked repeatedly over and over and over again and fought till they are exhausted. I know they are a "HARDY FISH" but it has to take a toll on them. I seriosly doubt it will take much of a toll on your business as what is an extra few bucks when they are already paying x amount to get here and besides with our dollar compared to theirs it really is not that much for them.

And I really doubt s#$t will hit the fan.

243 Posts
flyguy said:
Yes the provinve is run by criminals but has been forever.
So that means that we should just blindly accept anything that comes our way? I for one am getting a little tired of paying more and more every year for less and less oportuninty.

flyguy said:
As far as your comment that non-residents having to pay less then a resident to fish is garbage. Do they do any work on rivers to help keep it clean, do they pay taxes over here, NO.
I agree that priority should be given to residents over other users.

flyguy said:
Have you looked at what it costs to fish elsewhere in the world.
Irrelevent.

flyguy said:
We all knew this was coming, I think some just did not want to admit it would happen.
Did we and if so where does it end? How long before a basic licence is good for nothing until it is filled with water and fish specific tags. Tags for trout in lakes. Tags for trout in rivers. Tags for steelhead oportunity (already in place). Tags for salmon oportunity (as oposed to the harvest tag now). Tags for sturgeon. Tags for retention of any of the above. Tags for carp. Tags for bass. Laugh if you want but your words We all knew this was coming, I think some just did not want to admit it would happen will apply then just as they are now.

flyguy said:
I think it should be a protected fishery as at one point where they not on the endangered list.
Coming from a guy who blindly accepts that the provinve is run by criminals you'd think you would be a little more skeptical of their stance on sturgeon numbers and the reasoning for a new licence to fish for them.

flyguy said:
Maybe this will stop alot of these fish from being hooked repeatedly over and over and over again and fought till they are exhausted. I know they are a "HARDY FISH" but it has to take a toll on them. I seriosly doubt it will take much of a toll on your business as what is an extra few bucks when they are already paying x amount to get here and besides with our dollar compared to theirs it really is not that much for them.
This is a very contridictory statment. Your insisting that no business will suffer and the fishery will continue on as usuall in spite of the new WSCL but at the same time suggesting that the new WSCL will some how magically lower catch rates? Can you further explain how that will happen?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do believe there where meetings last year regarding the tags so yes this was no surprise.

I guess I should not of said "for ever" when it comes to criminals running this province. I should of said when the liberals started running this province. And as long as the Liberals stay in power we will have to pay to play.

The catch rates will lower because the average sportfisher that would not require a guide will not put out the money for the tag as they will simple stick to salmon, steelhead,bass and trout. By average sportfisher I mean someone that would of considered trying it from shore on their own.

243 Posts
The catch rates will lower because the average sportfisher that would not require a guide will not put out the money for the tag as they will simple stick to salmon, steelhead,bass and trout. By average sportfisher I mean someone that would of considered trying it from shore on their own.

Ok, I see now. Its the guy(s) who do not know anything about sturgeon and might throw out their bar rod with some crappy bait, from shore, that are doing the damage to the the sturgeon. Makes sense now, thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The fact remains that no matter what your thoughts are on this the one thing most of us agree on is the belief that the money wont be seen in any significant way in sturgeon enhancement. So maybe the government thinks about this the same way they do about fuel prices, the way to save a fishery is to keep driving the price up with taxes until it gets so expensive only a select few can afford to do it, no more problem. :wallbash:

·
Registered
875 Posts
flyguy said:
Have you looked at what it costs to fish elsewhere in the world.
I actually have as I am going to Oregon for week and want to fish. A annual liscence down there for ALL the tags and your liscence is only $80 dollars for someone that's a NON-RESIDENT. That is funny considering how they have better salmon/Steelhead returns than us for the most part (way more hatcheries = bigger hatchery returns) and are even allowed to kill 2 sturgeon a year, along with 20 Steelhead, istead of the 10 down here. A BC RESIDENT pays around $80-$100 if you want all the tags (along with the liscence), now its even more with the new sturgeon tag, and we are still getting less than they are for more cost. It doesnt bother me that we are not allowed to kill sturgeon and 20 Steelhead because I never would anyways, I'm just stating a point. I think that this is ridiculous and people should really start to get on the governments case on these issues. If they are going to charge us this much on tags, why not put it into hatchery programs, etc. I hate to say this but take an example from the US on this one and actually fund hatcheries and build fish runs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I dont really have a problem with an additional license. Fishing is relatively cheap compared to golfing or skiing.
Would be very nice if some of the money was going back towards development of the fishery rather than general revenue.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.