BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been curious about the main line for a sturgeon outfit. I am putting my first outfit together and I am debating on what mainline I should use. My fishing buddy uses 80# - 100# Tuf Line, but 40# leader. I am thing of using 50# Tuf line or maybe 65#. Am I going to light? I would love to hear any opinions.

Rich

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I suggest using Power Pro braided line in 130 or 100 pound, the 130 is easier on the hands though.

For leader I use Dacron trolling line by Sea King in 135 pound, real easy on the hands and tuff as hell.

Like Steelie said, gear up for the biggest fish you may encounter, not the average. "the one that got away" should not include gear failure.

Have fun

·
Registered
694 Posts
I would go at least 100lbs tuff line or power pro. Then you can cut down the leader to wahtever you like. If you use 130lbs you can always use 110lbs for leader. I know there are some guys that love mono for leader, but I'm not one of them ;D

Just in case you were still open to suggestions.

There are 2 different combo's that both do a good job. You could go with a BigCat rod, usually found for $75 and a Pen330Gti reel. Or you buck up for a Technium with a Shimano TLD20. There are some other nice rods out there also like the trophy's, but for reels those are the only 2 that I know will handle a ton of abuse.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'll second what eimaj said about the rods. My first choice is the technium. I have 2 and they are awesome. My backup is a big cat. A little cheaper, and will still handle the abuse.

·
Registered
419 Posts
150lb power pro with the braided nylon sturgeon leader @ 80lb

·
Registered
911 Posts
130 power braid mainline, 80 lb and 100lb dacron leaders trio of Bigcats with 330's never had a problem with any of them
cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
210 Posts
i fished for sturgeon in lillooet for 15 years with 80lb straight line with a three way swivel and a railway tie for weight. never lost a big fish due to line weight but lost fish who blue the gears on the reel and took all the line.
do not wont the line to strong in case you get snaged on the bottom.

jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. It looks like just about everybody goes heavy in case of the big fish. I am debating between 80# or 100# tuf line. I figure if I go lighter I can always chase with the boat. Is this backward thinking?

Again thanks and Happy New Years.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You'll still end up chasing the big ones with 100# main and 90# leader. Be ready to through the ancor, with a float on the free end, because 300 yards can disappear fast. Don't go too light, you can get the job done faster with the heavier gear and reduce the stress on the fish. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
masterbaiter said:
You'll still end up chasing the big ones with 100# main and 90# leader. Be ready to through the ancor, with a float on the free end, because 300 yards can disappear fast. Don't go too light, you can get the job done faster with the heavier gear and reduce the stress on the fish. :2cents:
I here that and you could always cut the line if you run into trouble... ;)

:beerchug: Marko

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.