BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Here's my 1st sturgeon of the season! :happy: caught on good friday, and is 7 feet to the fork of the tail and almost 8 to the tip of the tail....weighed somewhere in the 300lb range I figure...2 of us couldn't even get it out of the water...got to thank my good friend ROD BOUREL of the Fraser River Fishing Lodge for the sturgeon, with out him this fish would not of been hooked or landed!

Mike <")))))))><

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The look of a fresh from the Ocean White Sturgeon, this one was mere days after the first Pinks arrived.
These fat whitish chrome fish are madness on the end of a rod, this one fought like a 8 foot pin cushion from the Harrison ;D.

Big fish and crappy picture, of course my camera was dead from using it for video, so this was taken on the clients phone.

Launch time :thumbup:. Spent $1600.00 dollars on a digital SLR to get shots like these and second trip out, BOYAAH, got the money shot on this 7 footer.

I'll also add the biggest fish I've been a part of. This one was MASSIVE in girth but not super long. I had one client,the one trying to lift it's head :happy:, land this baby by himself in 45 minutes :eek:.
He's a local Chilliwack farmer who was bloody tuff as hell and really laid the boots to this fish. I believe in working the fish hard and never letting them rest, constantly applying pressure with the boat and motor to keep them mad and running, none of this pansy sitting down and holding on stuff. While you reat the fish gets back energy and this game can go on forever. On this particular trip the guy pictured had his dad who was 70 and his dads bro who was older and the guys 9 year old son, we were without backup. Would have been nice to have some more muscle for a better pic, but is still my most memorable encounter with these awesome beasts.
It was on one of the first day the pinks had showed up above Mission, GOD I cannot wait for this pink run, and the behemoths that arrive with them ;D.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Nice fish there MIkey!.............How's yer arms feelin?........I plan to do a little more Sturgeon fishing this year. They are magnificent fish! We are very fortunate to have them here in the Fraser River so close to home.........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Fish Finder said:
Nice pictures guys :cheers:....I hope I can fit in a few sturgy trips this year.

Finder :)
I'll be out for my fair share of Sturgeon trips, you're more than welcome to join me if I have an open seat!!

Maybe we can make a Sturgeon fish out for the early summer? I know quite a few of us have boats so we could accomodate quite a few people if everyone is willing. Almost a Sturgie Derby if you will!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'd be up and willing for some of that!! the wierd thing for me though is that I have caught all of my bigger Sturgeon from shore, with the biggest from a boat being this one last nov!! ;D
A fairly fat 5-6 footer!! :cheers:

G

·
Big Steel said:
I'd be up and willing for some of that!! the wierd thing for me though is that I have caught all of my bigger Sturgeon from shore, with the biggest from a boat being this one last nov!! ;D
A fairly fat 5-6 footer!! :cheers:
5-6 feet? sorry that isnt close to 6 ft let alone 5

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sweet shot there BR those are the hard ones to get that one with the farmer by the head only supports the fact they are truly dinos look at the head and those beady little eyes. The fellows last name wasn't Kloot by chance was it? With mama ready to burst with # 2 here in mid may I cant see hittin the river before June so the shots definately help calm the withdrawl shakes.
Hey Rick do you ever smile I don't think I" seen a picture of you smilin' yet ;) Just buggin
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Well, It may not seem like much compared to the monsters in the pictures above, but here is my first ever sturgeon!!!

Thanks to the boys for showing me the ropes, the smile says it all! :thumbup: :happy:

ps: does this photo seem dark? if it does, please let me know...

thx,

rib

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
For the record, what is the proper proceedure for tailing a monster like that and dragging her to shore.
I see everyone using a rope, is that after you get to shore or an aid to getting it there....
........:confused:......Marko

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I tow the fish to shore with the rod and reel and do it keeping the fish at about 30 feet back, they will make occassional attempts at taking off again and it's a good workout for the angler. I prefer to have the fish working hard trying to run and limit it's resting time, I do this by pulling away from it with the boat which encites a good run. This actually helps tire the fish fast and not prolong the battle. Never had a fair hooked fish break 1 hour yet with this approach.
The fish almost always are rather cooperative when being towed to shore, it's more like they swim with you and are not being pulled .

I only like to use a rope in cases where we have few people to help control the fish( i am talking about once you are on shore). A very soft rope lighlty placed around the tail and not used for lifting or moving the fish is not a problem IMO and can stop a fish from knocking a guide or angler unconcious. I know as I have been tail slapped hard by a 8 foot fish and it was not a humorous situation and left me shaken and with a BIG AZZ headache. Also have seen my share of cut up arms and hands from these fish, so careful is the key.

I would add also that if your not willing to get in their domain(water) than forget pics and just pop the hook out, thats the rule on my boat. I always carry 4 extra sets of waders for shore pics, any day could be the next 12 footer :thumbup:.

I think it is important to learn how to handle the larger fish properly, I learned from a few trips I booked years ago with a good local guide and think it is a great idea to at least watch big fish being landed by experienced anglers before attempting it on your own.

Maybe i will shoot a vid this wekend as we are landing the winning fish in the Riverside derby :drunk:, someone said the cash winnings are gonna be Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeett. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Very informative,just what I was looking for.I now figure the sturgie I helped Ribwart tail was approx.
5ft - 6in in length and weighed about 45 to 50 pounds. It was a struggle to hold on to and probably
would have been best left in the water, live and learn eh? Thanks ..... :beerchug:......Marko

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.