BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting together a sturgeon setup and wondering what guys are using for their line? The line will be going on a Penn 330 Gti. Just wondering what brands and poundage of braided line most guys would recommend.

Thanks!

FF :beerchug:

·
Registered
745 Posts
100 pound tuff is what we use.... couple of reels have had it on for 4+ years now and no problems!! The 96lb sturgeon leader seems to be good and doesn't fray or hurt the fish.... I have just started using it and will re tie all me leaders with it!

Mike

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where do most guys get their line from? And approxiamately how many yards are recommended on the spool? Cabela's has 150lb PowerPro in spools of 500 yards for under 80 bucks. Is this a good deal? Never been out for Sturgeon, so just trying to get a handle on some of the specifics.

Cheers! :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Power Pro isn't cheap for anyone, best to buy it bulk from your tackle supplier at the going price as I put stock in having it machine spooled as compared to done by youreslf.Power Pro should be spooled on tight and with emphasis on having it spread evenly across the spool. Make sure there isn't too much on there as it can be troublesome when it piles(which happens with no levelwind ). I use 150, for the simple reason that my fingers get cut with the 100 using it all the time. Both are very good and can handle any fish with a proper drag setting. On the topic of reels, bad drags are the enemy with sturgeon, hook a real good fish and quickly learn how good your drags are. I made that mistake with the Penn 330 gti and the Okuma Tritons, both became jerky drags when under big load. The Shimanos have the best drag for the lower end with the TLD's, realiable and tough. Make sure to always set your drag with your lever drag set in freespool, then retighten and check drag, this is important or you will encounter drag issues.

Good luck out there and keep 1 eye up river ;D

Hey Archer, it can be good from early spring right thru till fall, some periods present less fish but maybe some larger ones and other times can be crazy fishing, with Aug- Nov being very good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.