BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres an article that I found that I thought all the sturgeon fishers should read. To be honest after our last catch - I emailed one of the members because I wondered about taking the sturgeon into the sand. I worried about the sand getting into the sturgeons gills and I wondered if that could be at all harmful - as I did NOT want to harm these beautiful fish in any way. And the member told me that- The Sturgeons gills are its weak points and avoid that area and getting sand in there. And the member also mentioned to me that noosing was really not good for them either. Mindu we definitely DID NOT noose the fish and pull him in backwards!!! Which I would hope people DO NOT DO. We started the engine after the fish was tired out and VERY VERY slowly pulled him to shore with the hook in his mouth. We took him to shore and lightly attached the SOFT rope to his tail for the photo only! Anyways I found this article a good one and thought we should all read!

http://www.bcsturgeon.com/article-sturgeon-noosing.htm

· Registered
909 Posts
Very well put article. I often cringe at some iof the pictures on line where you see the fish basically laying on the shore and you can see it is sucking up the mud. With the new popularity in this fishery We all do need to do our parts to cause as little harm to them as possible. One oif the other things I questioned is the art of lifting them on to the boat. I was out an a charity trip last year and questioned my guide on this, as i do it on my own boat with out any thought,. he didn't think it does any damage to the gills by pulling them in by the gill plates. I argued it must your hands are in the gills and what about the strain on the head and upper spine. What if I tryied to lift you out of the water by putting my hands under your jaw bone and lifted. Why not just do in water releases. I am guilty of these in the past Just food for thought even though these fish are much larger they are still as fragile as a small trout.
Cheers
Crazy D

· Registered
517 Posts
Good article, and interesting even to people like me that do not fish sturgeon. Thanks for referring it. I always thought about this issue, but obviously I never thought to mention anything in this forum since I hate people always remarking negative sides and issues of others' good days. But I am so glad that you made this point.

:beerchug:

G

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.