BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure I’m opening myself up to lots of abuse but what gear/equipment is required to be successful at fishing Sturgeon? I’m not looking for secret spots just curious on what gear is recommended for these beasts and can the average guy be successful.
Cheers

·
Registered
694 Posts
A trophy rod and a penn 330gti are a good place to start for gear. The shimano rod and TLD20 would be bullet proof. If you could find one the BigCat rods were good for the money.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
As with all other types of fishing, success comes with knowledge and time. I myself have just had limited success this year (also being my first year). As eimaj mentioned a trophy sturgeon special or similar rod will do the job great, I have that one and a Shimano Taldora that work quite well both have abu 7000s loaded with 100lb braided line. You will need some sturgie leaders (80lb) and some big hooks (7/0 - 9/0). As for weights, it is like barfishing where it all depends on the current, having said that I tend to stick with 16 or 18 oz weights, but I tend to stay in the lower fraser. As for baits you can use course fish, oolies, worms, roe(fresh I hear works good), ditch eels (apparently you can't get them legally though). I have heard some people use chicken a lot, I haven't tried it yet.

There are a lot of guys on here that know more than me, but I am good at regurgitating information I have accumulated from them and my local shop. As for locations, if you have a boat you are better off, but there are still some spots from shore that you can fish from, however I can't help you there as I am in the boat exclusively.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses!
Now here is what I have, but it is salt water gear.
Avet SX with 300+ 50lb power pro and fluorocarbon 60lb leader on a heavy casting rod 7’
AVET MXL 350+yds 65 lb power pro, 25-50 lb. Topshot on Shimano Musky 20-50lb 7’
AVET EX 4/02 600+yds 80lb Spectra, 40 to 80 lb topshot on a 5’6’ full roller rod
AVET JX two speed 425+yds 65lb Spectra, 25-50 lb. Topshot on 5’6” roller tip
I also have a few Abu Garcia’s in 6500 but I’m sure they are way to light.

Can this gear work or am I in that grey area, some to light/some to heavy :confused:

My boat is a little strange for this application it’s a Lowe 1852 semi-v Jon boat with a Mud Buddy 27hp Kawie surface dive Mud Motor with rock guard. Not sure how she will handle heavy current but she will power through 8” of water ;D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.