BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we decided to giver another try - we were out yesterday with no luck so we thought today we would try a few other spots. Well today was much better - we lost count at 8. And the last one we brought in - was a 7 1/2 footer. It took the 2 of us an hour to bring him up to the boat for as good as a shot as we could get. Heres a few of todays fun.

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fishortho said:
;D ;D..........Yehaaw!!...............You guys are getting to be pros!.........Well done. A good day to be on the water.....Ortho 8)
Thanks Ortho - yeah were having fun!!! This one was our biggest. I set the hook and knew he was a biggie - I played him awhile and knew I couldnt do it all my self and Gord has never reeled one in this size, as last time I got the big one too - but he was 6.5 and he did tire me out - lol. so I gave the rod to Gord to play a while. This guy tried a few times to go under our boat and he even got close to going under the anchor. So it was tense a few times - lol. And he was not coming until he was ready! Great day for the 2 of us!

Sean_Salmon said:
Good work on the Sturgeon. I am very pleased to see you handling them with care. I wish all beginners were like you guys! :beerchug: ;D :thumbup:
We try our best not to hurt them. on the first 2 smaller ones there was a little blood near their mouths but not alot we can do about that. With the big guy we basically just tried to get a rope around his tail - which he soaked us a few times - I dont think they like you to touch their tails lol. - and tried our best to measure him. Which isnt easy along side the boat. there was no way we could pick him up and he was pretty tired too! We unroped him and he swam away - tired but I am sure just fine.

Roe_kid - yes we were in the lower river and the bait we were using were the ooligans (spelling)

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There seems to be a fair amount of sturgeon in the river. Either that or we have just figured it out - lol. We had another good day - we were out on the river at 7:00 a.m. - caught another 8 -mainly small ones today though - but still fun! And the smaller ones give a good fight, just dont take as long to bring in :happy: We found that snugging up close to the log booms seems to work pretty good too. What we tried for 1/2 the day, was we held the rod - instead of putting it in the holder and waited for the fish to nibble - then we basically let the line spool off really slowly, until we thought the fish had sucked it up - then set the hook - that seemed to work good for us.
Heres a couple of photos from today ;)

· Registered
735 Posts
Same place as before Lynn??

Was a good day weekend for fishing.... still what I would call a light bite though.... we have only had maybe 6 fish take the offering and run.... but that is part odf the fun, isn't it!

Mike

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah thats the challenge of it - knowing just when to set the hook. Sometimes we were a bit too early and I think other times too late. But your right there were alot of sturgeon showing us they were there - thats for sure.
Yes same spot - :happy: And a few others. Actually we moved to a more secluded spot as the junk was really coming down the river in the afternoon for some reason?? - It was nice and clean in the morning . Lots of fun anyways :beerchug:
Were out again this morning - were taking a few friends - so hopefully we can catch them a few, and the rain holds off till tonight!

· Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yesterday was a beautiful day to be on the water - went to our same spot (leaseman - lol) and we caught 7. Gord got about a 7 footer and this was my biggest for the day. At least this one we could pick up. Off to the lake today :thumbup: !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.