BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bf and I were trying our luck in Dog Leg Pool @ Capilano yesterday at dusk with NO luck :-[... but the guy across the river casting in approx. the same parts as us had about 3 good fights with some big ones... We were using spoons and salmon roe with no success at all.... Anyone have any advice on what we should be using?? :confused:

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Your using the right stuff, often the difference between getting fish and getting nothing can be in your drifts. Are you getting nice tension free drifts through the zone? Is the angle to the fish conducive to getting your drifts in the zone the longest? Etc...

Likely the angler across the river from you was in the zone longer and more consistently from his spot...or it might have been his roe was more appetizing for the fish, some eggs don't cut it....make sure the ones you are using milt really well...

Also, dog leg can have some funky currents, and this can make drifts difficult if you don't figure out where to cast to in order to start your drifts...

Good luck out there,

Let us know how you do...

rib

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I agree with ribby! You probably weren't getting the right drift. So next time I would go t the spot he was fishing and try the drift and see the differance. Sound kinda beeky but that's how you learn. :thumbup:

Hotrod

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
dont let it discourage you RnR

I have given up on that river after my countless no fish or hookup days out there. :'( mind you i never see anyone else getting anything when im there either which is nice LOL

you fish other rivers?

if you ask questions just look at some of us crazies like Rib that have tons of posts ;) we know our stuff :happy:

tight lines

HOOK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips!

I'm going to try the other side next time... or other pools on that river. We tried Cable pool which was REALLY intimidating because i dont want to go flying off those rocks!!! I think i'm pretty stong for a girl but not as stong as some of those crazy salmon!!!!

Not letting it discourage me yet... i havent tried other rivers as i'm new to the sport... only been the Cap so far.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'd save the cap for the local diehards that know the river. Try practicing on bigger rivers with big runs. Small trickles can be very dissapointing for the beginner. Once you perfect how to read the water and drift it properly than give the cap another try. You'll probably find it not as
frustrating and catch fish.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree the Cap can be a tough river to fish, but like anything in life...if you put in your time you will be rewarded. I put in a full year of fishing on the Cap before I caught anything...granted that was last year and not the best on record. Right now is a great time to get out there and see what the old boys are using and catching fish on. If the river is really busy its great just to sit up top and observe the fish and fisherman. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Lots of rain today and the river came up a foot or so and with rain in the forecast shold be good water conditions.Now to find the fish other than the cable.This is unusual to have this high water at this time of year. Fish are still being caught and fresh ones moving in quite regular at the lower end! :thumbup:

Hotrod

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used to spend a lot of time on the Cap and had decent success, using roe and hardware as well. What I did learn in all my time there though, was you could catch a lot more of those skittish coho on the fly than any gear. The river gets so clear and the fish see so much pressure, especially at cable pool, that anything bigger than your fingernail seems to spook them! :-\ One season I repeatedly made the first light hike into cable pool to clamber down to the flat top rock that is just the prime location. But no matter what I offered up, the best I would get was a quick look and a return to the shadows. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing the river full of chrome fish and not hooking one up!! :-[ What also happened repeatedly that season was the same fella would come a couple hours after I showed up, clamber down to join me on the rock, and proceed to pull a couple of those little chromers out from the exact spots I had tried! :pissed: The difference was he was pulling a fly with light line. A tiny little minnow pattern on sinking tippet. After witnessing this too many times, I bought my first fly rod!! ;) I'm not saying everyone needs to switch to fly fishing, the most valuble lesson I learned was to downsize my setup and presentation. ;) However, if you do want to give it a try, cable pool is a good place to start. You only have to cast about 10 yards upstream, let your line drift downstream and sink close to bottom, and then do a quick, darting retrieve. Even I managed to learn it right quick!! ;D

·
Registered
135 Posts
I used to live a block away from the Cap. It is a wonderful river that can be fished whenever there is a skiff of water. If you look at the number of fish that return and its short length, it has one of the highest fish per kilometer ratings in the country, when fish are comming into the system.

One of the problems is that, as fishers, we have a tendency to get set in our ways and go to the same spots and use the same gear.The first couple of years that I fished the Cap, I had moderate success. And like most regular fishers on the system, I bitched about the crowding at all the local spots when the word got out that there were fish in the system.

Well, the crowding actually was a benefit. It forced me to start to fish away from the crowds. I learned to fish pocket water. I learned to sight fish. I learned to experiment with a variety of different gear, baits and presentations. I learned to keep an accurate daily log of where I fished, what I used, what worked and what I saw work for other people. And yes, I learned that some areas are just more effectively fished with a fly rod. As a result, my success rate went way up.

I don't live in the lower mainland anymore. But, I do get to Vancouver every couple of months. I always bring a rod and my fishing log with me and usually get a chance to spend a couple of hours on that little urban gem. And no, I don't head straight to Cable Pool, I usually start out probing some of that crappy looking broken water in the lower half.

I envy anyone who has the opportunity to fish the Cap on a regular basis and learn the river. Be patient and you will be successful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.